Long Periods of Fear and Worry About This Condition ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
It can certainly feel overwhelming for many of us at times.

But spending long periods weighed down by anxiety, fear, and worry should not be an inevitable part of living with diabetes.

Diabetes IS a serious condition, but it’s also one that can usually be managed well with some tweaks and changes, appropriate medication if required, and a little lateral thinking here and there.

Diabetes distress and diabetes burnout are phrases used to describe some experiences that you are alluding to. These are increasingly recognised as serious challenges to people living with diabetes - and if you are experiencing diabetes distress or burnout your Dr should be able to offer you additional help and support.

Hang in there. Many members find they are able to work through these periods, and develop strategies and systems to help them in the future.

There isn’t a day that goes by that I don’t wish it was me that had diabetes and not my daughter. I’d swap my place in this life if it meant her not having it. I’d imagine every parent on here feels the same. I find that I can’t dwell on the negative stuff or I’ll just start smashing things up! Definitely didn’t deal too well with it all at first but I think I’ve got a couple of percentages better.

As a T1 diagnosed as a kid. It could have been worse. Made relationships & job choices “interesting” in my teens. It has also helped me to developed an empathy for others with conditions I would probably never understand.
It’s interesting considering what could be in a “parallel universe” but I deal with were I am & move forward.

It can certainly feel overwhelming for many of us at times.

But spending long periods weighed down by anxiety, fear, and worry should not be an inevitable part of living with diabetes.

Diabetes IS a serious condition, but it’s also one that can usually be managed well with some tweaks and changes, appropriate medication if required, and a little lateral thinking here and there.

Diabetes distress and diabetes burnout are phrases used to describe some experiences that you are alluding to. These are increasingly recognised as serious challenges to people living with diabetes - and if you are experiencing diabetes distress or burnout your Dr should be able to offer you additional help and support.

Hang in there. Many members find they are able to work through these periods, and develop strategies and systems to help them in the future.

I think I waste too much time with people who simply havnt got a clue

And I should spend more time on here getting advice and support

I drcided when I was first diagnosed to tell as few people as possible. 5 years down the road only a handful know, and I am so glad I made that decision. If people mention diabetes and a comment that is so wrong, I try and steer them in the correcf direction. But tbh, I don’t think they listen. It annoys me to behave like this, but my goodness am I pleased I do.

I drcided when I was first diagnosed to tell as few people as possible. 5 years down the road only a handful know, and I am so glad I made that decision. If people mention diabetes and a comment that is so wrong, I try and steer them in the correcf direction. But tbh, I don’t think they listen. It annoys me to behave like this, but my goodness am I pleased I do.
I was similar when I was first diagnosed and I still don’t like the idea that someone will judge me for having diabetes.
However, I quickly decided that I was not going to go to a toilet to inject. So I am not exactly hiding my diabetes but I don’t make a big thing about it. I have been surprised both by
  • how many people are oblivious to it I sat opposite a guy for more than a year and always ate and injected at my desk. He did not know I was doing it.
  • How many people chose to comment and give me “advice” when they see me injecting. It is usually along the lines of telling me I can’t eat something. But I have also had someone mansplaining how I cannot be diagnosed with Type 1 as an adult so I need to stop taking insulin and change my diet.
But to the title of this thread, I think the fear of complications are what made me make managing diabetes as habitual as possible. Once it became habit, the fear did not go away but isn’t as foremost in my mind.
Sometimes I worry that I do not worry about it enough and need to have a more contacted effort to ensure I do not become complacent.

Anyone else sometimes spend days and nights weighed down by the incredible stress of dealing with all this ?

I actively put it out of my head @Taffyboyslim If you stop to think, there are a multitude of illnesses and medical conditions out there. It would be life-consuming to worry about them all. We’ve got the D to deal with, but we shouldn’t let that steal the joy of life. Yes, we need to try to control it - that’s crucial - but spending time worrying about the myriad of possible complications is time wasted IMO.

Do the best you can and enjoy your life.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back