Long night ahead

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gillsb

Relationship to Diabetes
Parent
Very tired but a long night ahead.

Megan had got over her sickness bug this week and I was giving myself a big pat on the back for getting through it ok. Ketones back to normal and levels great today.

Tonight however the longest hypo ever. Down to 2 and then up and down between two and five for the next hour and a half. She is exhausted and begging not to have to eat any more. Eventually got her levels up to 5 and she has crashed out but I know I wont. Alarm clock will be set but probably wont need it as I always wake up anyway. Another night of testing ahead I think. Dont like her going to bed under about 7.

Hate to see her like this....................

Good luck for tonight Gill. Hypos bread hypos unfortunately. Hopefully it won't be too bad and you will all be fine tomorrow. Take care. x

Sorry to hear that Gill. I hope Megan doesn't have anymore hypos and you manage to get a bit of shut-eye x

Thank you, will test shortly and if ok will get to bed for a couple of hours. Such a shame for her as she was feeling so much better. No doubt this is all part of the bug she has had but it just took us by surprise.

We never stop learning do we.

Thank you, will test shortly and if ok will get to bed for a couple of hours. Such a shame for her as she was feeling so much better. No doubt this is all part of the bug she has had but it just took us by surprise.

We never stop learning do we.

Still only 5 even with the amount of sugar she has taken tonight!!!!!!!

Ive been moaning about getting up for the last 8 weeks with my son who has a broken hand to give pain killers ...but in compariason to you parents of kids with D i feel humbled...
you are an inpiration and what good mums and Dads xxx

We are just mums and any would do the same for their children. I am sure there are many parents who face worse every day. Diabetes is a challenge but it will get easier. (I Hope)

we are just mums .... but also SUPERMUMS good luck 2nite xxx

GillSB - have you discussed Glucagon with your diabetes team? Might be worth looking up some information, as it can be used to treat "deep" hypos, but usually only if the person is unconscious, which is why I am only suggesting discussing with your team.

Hi Gillsb

Hope your night was ok. I totally sympathise with you as my son just recovering from a cold which affected his levels and produced ketones. We are exhausted but coming out the other end now he on the mend.
He on a pump and i wrote about our experiences on the pump thead.

As you say, we are always learning. We have been shocked by the amount of insulin that can be needed on sick days!

All the best

Mand 🙂

Thanks everybody. She is fine this morning, just tucking into her breakfast. Not quite sure what went wrong, I am guessing that although the bug appeared to have cleared up it was still affecting her insulin needs.

She thinks she may have slightly miscalculated her insulin with her dinner but not to that extent.

Anyway the main thing is we got through it. Long night of testing but wouldn't have done anything else.

I think she is now hoping to do a bit of retail therapy today!!!

So pleased to hear it Gill! I've had one or two very stubborn hypos, so know how awful she must have felt (and you, feeling powerless).

Hope today goes much better for you both!🙂

Hi Gillsb

Hope your night was ok. I totally sympathise with you as my son just recovering from a cold which affected his levels and produced ketones. We are exhausted but coming out the other end now he on the mend.
He on a pump and i wrote about our experiences on the pump thead.

As you say, we are always learning. We have been shocked by the amount of insulin that can be needed on sick days!

All the best

Mand 🙂

Hi Mand,

I know what you mean, can be tiring cant it. Hope your son is ok now. We should get them chatting amongst themselves. I know it would do Megan good. If he is interested, does he have MSN?

hi there gillsb hope your daughet is ok and had a real good day xx

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back