Status
Not open for further replies.

gillrogers

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1.5 LADA
Pronouns
She/Her
Morning all, hope everyone is well.

Been really busy just lately with wayward daughter and the community facilities that I help manage reopening., So not had a chance to pop in. Anyway, got a question. Ive been told that you can skip meals and obviously don't take any bolus. But you still need to have your basal. So this morning had my basal at my usual time but wanted to stay in my snuggly pit for a bit longer, so didn't have a bolus and do my breakfast straight after. I left it about 20 minutes then got up and did it. Next thing I know I'm having my last mouthful of brecky and my alarm is going off dropping fast!. Stick test confirmed it, went from 8 something to a 4 something. It just makes me query what I hear about skipping meals. I never skip a meal, always too darn hungry, so I always have the meal. I e noticed the same if I have lunch a bit later than usual and same for dinner.

Skipping or delaying a meal should not make you hypo. If it does then it’s likely your basal dose is too high.

Quite simply your basal is too high. So you need to reduce it slightly and retest by skipping meals again.

Sounds like it would be good to recheck a few times @gillrogers

Sometimes long acting injections end up being a bitof a ’Hobson’s choice’, but on the whole it should be possible to tweak your dose on an ongoing basis so that you do not need to eat regularly to feed the background insulin.

Running a systematic basal check every so often can help keep things adjusted as your insulin needs rise and fall throughout the year.

This article might help

Ooh yes, I forgot that, cos I was thinking that as a possibility on Thursday, I was chasing it all day! Almost non stop eating. Yet my mealtime is indicating to me that my bolus has gone up. Can that happen. Mind you Ive been under emmense stress for the last two weeks. Daughter has severe mental health problems and the last two weeks she's taken to frightening unhealthy coping strategies that have nearly ended her. Last week every day I was on the phone to the emergency services because she's done something stupid. She lives in a care home and they don't help. Very long story, and im having to fight the systems for her.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back