Long haul flights and travelling

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jennyninja

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Morning. I'm hoping to go to Australia and the Far East for an extended holiday., maybe up to 3 months this autumn/winter. This will be the first since T1 diagnosis and taking insulin. I know for shorter flights/stays you need a letter from your doctor saying you need to carry your insulin and sensors rather than risk damage in the hold. Also to contact the airline company. However, I'm going to need a lot of supplies for 3 months with i assume no possibility of getting them abroad or at least not rely on it. What experience does anyone have of this and what would you advise ? Thanks.

How exciting, I am jealous.

The advice for travelling with one lot of insulin or 20 lots is the same - don't put it in the hold and make sure you have a letter from your doctor. In literally hundreds of flights I have never told the airline. I do not see it as anything to do with them. I would also make extra checked that your travel insurance covers diabetes - this is likely to mean that you will need to take out one of the expensive ones such as AllClear rather than rely on the standard ones. You can get insulin in other countries but it helps if your insurance will help as it can be expensive (although probably not as expensive as USA).

I would buy a few Frio wallets to hold your insulin and make sure you are using reusable pens rather than single use ones - spare cartridges take up a lot less space than spare pens.

For a day of travel to Australia, you do not need to worry about the insulin being out of the fridge but it would be good i you have one sorted at the other end. Typically, I would not worry but for 3 months, you may need to be a little more conscious.

How exciting, I am jealous.

The advice for travelling with one lot of insulin or 20 lots is the same - don't put it in the hold and make sure you have a letter from your doctor. In literally hundreds of flights I have never told the airline. I do not see it as anything to do with them. I would also make extra checked that your travel insurance covers diabetes - this is likely to mean that you will need to take out one of the expensive ones such as AllClear rather than rely on the standard ones. You can get insulin in other countries but it helps if your insurance will help as it can be expensive (although probably not as expensive as USA).

I would buy a few Frio wallets to hold your insulin and make sure you are using reusable pens rather than single use ones - spare cartridges take up a lot less space than spare pens.

For a day of travel to Australia, you do not need to worry about the insulin being out of the fridge but it would be good i you have one sorted at the other end. Typically, I would not worry but for 3 months, you may need to be a little more conscious.
Thanks @hello. All noted I saw a previous thread about insurance. Thanks for the recommendation

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back