London 2012: Dentist volunteer quits Games over shifts

Status
Not open for further replies.

Northerner

Admin (Retired)
Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
A dentist has pulled out of volunteering for London 2012 because of the hours she was asked to work.

Kathryn Smith, from Chipping Sodbury, South Gloucestershire, was due to be one of the dentists based in the Athletes' Village.

She changed her mind after learning her rota included working until 23:30 BST, followed by a shift starting at 06:30.

Locog said volunteers were advised that shifts could include early starts and late finishes.

Dr Smith, who practises in Cirencester, Gloucestershire, said she had contacted Locog's Medical Services section to ask if it could adjust some of the shift patterns. Officials would not.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-bristol-18921975

Well .. there's got to be more to this .... I am presuming that a) the dentists would be accommodated in the village or nearby - not expected to go home (to Glos or elsewhere) after each shift? b) you wouldn't have a 6.30 start after an 11.30 finish?

I mean if they are expecting you to do that and fit it in round your day job too, well you can't .... I wouldn't want any HCP with sleep deprivation treating ME.

Well .. there's got to be more to this .... I am presuming that a) the dentists would be accommodated in the village or nearby - not expected to go home (to Glos or elsewhere) after each shift? b) you wouldn't have a 6.30 start after an 11.30 finish?

I mean if they are expecting you to do that and fit it in round your day job too, well you can't .... I wouldn't want any HCP with sleep deprivation treating ME.

No, I think that that is exactly it - she had been rostered for a late finish followed by an early start, and I don't blame her for deciding it couldn't (shouldn't!) be done. I also doubt if the volunteers are accommodated in the village as there are so many of them - probably put up in hostels etc. outside the village. Pretty sure they don't do their day job too.

Games Maker volunteers get no help with accommodation, just free travel to / from shifts within zones 1 - 6 and free food during shift. Fortunately, I'll be staying with an old friend who lives in outer London, especially as all my shifts at Olympic Park are due to end at 0100.

Well then Northie - the person(s) organising the flaming rostering couldn't organise the proverbial boze-up in a proverbial brewery ..... I spose I shouldn't really be surprised.

Apparently, rosters were done by computer, not human - so the programmer / input designer got it wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back