Local news journalists don’t understand diabetes

Status
Not open for further replies.

harbottle

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
A man has been stranded in the Philippines after his cruise ship left without him.
Holidaymaker Christopher Capel was halfway through a 100-day journey around the world when disaster struck.
When the ship docked on the island of Palawan Mr Capel began feeling unwell and the doctor on board the ship sent him to the hospital.
By the time medics had carried out all their tests and given him antibiotics for heatstroke, the cruise ship he was on had left port. His insulin was still in his cabin, so his blood sugar fell dangerously low, causing hypoglycemic shock which led to a brief diabetic coma.
He has now been left in limbo and struggling to find a way home. MR Capel described the situation as a 'nightmare'.

My local ‘newspaper’, Coventry Telegraph, just posted this on their Facebook feed… it was met with quite a few comments! (The actual article contained the same 'reporting')

Last edited:
My local ‘newspaper’, Coventry Telegraph, just pasted this on their Facebook feed… it was met with quite a few comments!

And complaints too, I hope. I once complained to a local radio station who’d allowed such a comment to go uncorrected. They then corrected it, gave the correct advice about helping someone with a hypo, and, importantly, stressed people whose blood sugar was low should never be given insulin.

Some of the idiots replying of Facebook aren't much better or even slightly sympathetic. It's a horrible situation for the chap to be in.

Not only are prime opportunities to educate being missed, this under researched story could be instilling dangerous preconceptions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back