Local GPs and Hospitals Refusing to Treat Type 2 Diabetics on Insulin

Bazer_2000

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Pronouns
He/Him
Hi, just wondered how many others are in this situation or in Diabetes UK are aware of this?

In July of this year I had a letter from my GP surgery which stated that they are no longer able to manage type 2 diabetics on insulin therapy. They blamed the local NHS comissioning group which were no longer providing funding for this service and reffered me to the local hospital. The local hospital has refused the refferal and sent me back to my GP who still refuse to treat me.

Apparently, others in the Nottingham area have recieved similar letters and the commisioning body is doing nothing to sort it out and perhaps even worse have failed to communicate to patients or put togeter a change management plan. I have tried PALS but no information on the situation, I and others are having to deal with, has been passed on.

Barry

(I have been a type to for 24 years and have been on insulin therapy for 10 of those years. but my diabetes is changing along with B12 and non anaemic iron defficientcy and the onset of cognitive disfunction)

Really sorry to hear you are being messed about like this @Bazer_2000

It really can’t be right!

Is there another GP practice/group nearby that you could try? I know that this can be a bit tricky these days, where what used to be multiple individual practices are increasingly being gathered together in groups to access more funding, which can mean fewer choices close by.

You might want to call the Diabetes UK Helpline on Monday (Mon-Fri 9-6) on 0345 123 2399, who may be able to help, or perhaps involve the DUK Advocacy team?

Being caught in a referral/refusal loop must be very stressful for you :(

Email your MP Baz !
And Diabetes UK, of course. This is obviously dangerous and unacceptable. Some people with Type 2 need insulin and will need support doing so; I can't imagine what the people running the ICS in Nottingham are thinking.

Hi I attach a copy of the correspondence. I have discussed this with my GP and apparently its been going around in circles from early 2024 and is still not sorted. My GP will still cover prescriptions and yearly diabetic review but NOT insulin dose changes / set and review of Libra data. Others in different local GP practices have also received similar letters.

For me this is an issue at the moment as my insulin response has not been stable and struggling to remember if I have injected or not due to degradation in short term memory.

I have tried to bring this up with my MP but he has not yet set up his surgery after being elected.

Barry

Attachments

• Diabetes Letter 2.jpg
    Diabetes Letter 2.jpg
    49.2 KB · Views: 28
  • Diabeties Letter 1.jpg
    Diabeties Letter 1.jpg
    74.8 KB · Views: 28
Hi I attach a copy of the correspondence. I have discussed this with my GP and apparently its been going around in circles from early 2024 and is still not sorted. My GP will still cover prescriptions and yearly diabetic review but NOT insulin dose changes / set and review of Libra data. Others in different local GP practices have also received similar letters.

For me this is an issue at the moment as my insulin response has not been stable and struggling to remember if I have injected or not due to degradation in short term memory.

I have tried to bring this up with my MP but he has not yet set up his surgery after being elected.

Barry
You do have a contact on your letter for PALS which would be a good place to refer your complaint to, as you point out the two communications are in conflict.

Barry
Hi Barry, this is really messed up, may I suggest you write to your MP at the Houses of Parliament that way they are obliged by law to deal with it. Also I would suggest writing to the head of your MP's party and complain at the complacency. They have had ample time to set up a local office. I agree with the advice to call Diabetes UK, you sound like you need support on the ground.
Best wishes Rob's wife Ali

When are GPs going to realize they are supposed to treat patients.

and struggling to remember if I have injected or not due to degradation in short term memory.
For some insulins (specifically those from Novo Nordisk) there exist smart pens for exactly this kind of issue. (You're far from alone in occasionally not being sure, after all.) Changing to such pens is something your GP ought to be able to do (presuming your insulins are appropriate).

It's probably worth considering changing insulins if needed, but that's probably something your GP would be unwilling to help with.

I've heard about this and it's absolutely absurd that they doing this..you must speak to you MP regarding this @Bazer_2000 .

Back