Living with Type 1 diabetes: A dancer's story

Status
Not open for further replies.

Northerner

Admin (Retired)
Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
For Annie Holliday it's all about rhythm. Dance is an extension of herself and to each routine, she brings a focus and an intensity.

"I love to dance 'cause I can just go and relax and be me and let the music through me,” Holliday said.

With each step, she keeps track of time. She needs to.

Holliday has Type 1 diabetes. It means her body doesn't make enough insulin. At least five times a day she tests her blood and relies on an insulin pump to make sure her body can convert sugar and starches into energy.

"This pokes the finger and then takes the blood,” Holliday said while checking her blood sugar levels. She wears an pump that puts insulin into her body based on her blood glucose and how many carbohydrates she eats.

"If I don't punch in enough for a certain meal or something, then I can get super high and I'll just feel really sick and not good. Or if I punch in too much then I'll end up going low,” Holliday said.

It's a diagnosis she received at age five. She's now 13. But for her mom, Cheryl, it's a snapshot of life she can never ignore.

http://www.wxow.com/story/26358918/2014/08/25/living-with-type-1-diabetes-a-dancers-story

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back