Living well together: Couple has managed woman?s diabetes for 67 years

Status
Not open for further replies.

Northerner

Admin (Retired)
Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
In 1945, World War II ended. A new house cost about $4,600, a men?s shirt cost $2.50. Only 5,000 homes had a television set with only six channels. One hundred forty million people lived in the United States, and life expectancy was 65 years old. Prosperity at the war?s end was creating great opportunity for most, but for the one million Americans living with diabetes, the diagnosis was still devastating.

A 10 year old diagnosed with diabetes back then had a life expectancy of just 30 more years. While insulin had been used to treat diabetes since 1922, a bottle of insulin cost $3, and there was no way to check blood sugars or do much besides ?avoid sweets.?

http://www.centredaily.com/2012/11/11/3399261/living-well-together-couple-has.html

Richard who lives in the USA and has also posted on here was dignosed in 1945 as well 🙂

I was interested to read this
He remembers the first diet soda, Tab, and the amazing difference it made in her life.

Not to sure it made an amazing difference or even if I liked the stuff but I do remember TAB and the excitment when it came out. :D

Richard is an awesome member of the diabetes online community, and such an inspiration. He was in hospital recently with bleeding on the brain, but is OK now 🙂

Always great to hear about people who have lived through the decades with this - including you, Sue! 🙂

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back