Living kidney donors have low risk for kidney failure

Status
Not open for further replies.

Northerner

Admin (Retired)
Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Living kidney donors have a slightly increased risk of developing kidney failure during their lifetime but their risk remains low relative to the general population who are not donors, Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine researchers found.

They used federal data to compare the incidence of end-stage kidney disease between more than 96,000 people who donated a kidney between 1994 and 2011 and more than 20,000 similar people who were not donors.

Kidney donors had a slightly elevated risk of developing kidney failure 15 years after donating ? an extra 27 cases per 10,000 people ? compared to healthy non-donors. But by age 80, the donors? estimated lifetime risk of kidney failure ? 90 per 10,000 donors ? was much lower than for the general population ? 326 per 10,000 non-donors.

http://www.bostonglobe.com/lifestyl...ney-failure/95fDWW8yX9KutvxV7ocjxL/story.html

Hi its such a good thing that people realise that being a live donor is not as risky as they think. My husband was going to do it for me but wasnt a suitable match in the end. But you would not believe how stringent they are with the countless tests they do before they let you be a live donor. As my consultant said you have to be so healthy to actually donate you are probably very unlikely to develop kidney problems !. 🙂

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back