Liver Scan and Test result discussion with doctor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jenny65

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
So I had my liver scan discussion with my GP today. It wasnt my normal GP as they are on holiday. I had been quite anxious as the Sonographer kept making comments like 'Fatty Liver and Fatty Pancreas too" and then when I asked for more information she said "oh I can't tell you anything it's the doctors job"

Anyway ive waited for a long time to get the results explained to me and also Analyse my liver enzyme blood results (Elevated ALT)

So he calls me at 6.40pm and I needn't have worried. He started by saying that my liver whist fatty was nothing to worry about, he said the official term is Non Alcoholic Fatty Liver Disease but he didn't like calling it a disease and told me not to read too much on the internet, he said there are a lot of scare stories about sclerosis of the liver etc which basically is rare.

He said that my liver whilst fatty is what would be expected with diabetes type 2, and there was no signs of damage. He said a lot of people are walking around unaware they have a fatty liver and whilst not ideal its nothing that can't be treated with the same things I am using to treat my diabetes, weight loss and exercise is the key he said. I did feel relieved.

Then he went on to my results. He asked if I was aware that my ALT was 49 in 2011 (I said no, as no one contacted me from the surgery to tell me it was a high result), he then said "No, I am reassuring you, you had a level of 49 in 2011 and then 68 in July and now its 48. Your level whilst mildly elevated (should be under 35) hasnt fluctuated really in the last 10 years" he said that the figures that would worry him would be if they were in triple figures. So another one to relax about - so far so good...

Now comes the not so positive bit, He mentioned that my cholesterol level of 9.4 was one of the highest he has come across and said its is very unlikely I will be able to manage it with diet and exercise alone. He is aware I have another blood test at the end of the month and said he is OK to wait until those results before advising on statins but he said if he was me, he wouldn't hang around w waiting for the lipid clinic appointment in February to take the medication if he had those levels! He said the cholesterol wasn't my fault and not caused by diet but was metabolic and would need help to come down. He said he would hope to get my levels down to 5 or under. He said that he knows there is a lot of bad press about statins in the paper and if they turn out to cause me issues he will take me straight off them again. One issue I am concerned about is my mum, grandma and uncle all had Alzheimer's and memory loss and there is a link to statins and I remember seeing my poor mum not know who any of us where and my uncle was so scared he killed himself. I think if it did trigger dementia in me I would rather have a cardiac event than live for years not knowing who anyone is. I know that's a bit extreme but it did worry me. At the moment I have given up smoking (since 1st July when I was diagnosed) exercising, eating a healthy diet, losing weight and having benecol every day, I hope it helps me get as low as possible.

I have been told not to get hung up on glucose testing and instead to have the 3 monthly HBAC1 tests and to eat a healthy balanced diet, even including some carbs. I told him that I noticed a spike after eating a banana with my breakfast and he told me not to worry about the odd banana as I wasn't type 1 or on any medication or insulin, and just to eat a healthy diet and rely on my 3 monthly results.

I think he thought I had become a bit obsessed as the main message I got was, I was doing OK and my results were not that awful (except perhaps my cholesterol)

A

AFAIK fatty liver of some kind is kind of central to most cases of T2D. That's part of what's meant by "visceral fat" & losing weight clears it. FWIW, I never actually got diagnosed with "fatty liver" but I never had any kind of scan for it.

On cholesterol: There is just about zero evidence for significant cognitive effects of statins beyond anecdotes. See eg one of the most comprehensive reviews, from the American Heart Association, summarised here: https://www.acc.org/latest-in-cardiology/articles/2018/12/12/07/23/statin-safety-and-adverse-events There are hardly any significant side effect risks of any kind, but there is basically zero high-quality evidence for any neurological or cognitive deficits.

AFAIK, every expert body reports the same kind of message.

Of course you can choose to believe unqualified message board commentary, consipracist theories about "Big Pharma", fringe practictioners who know Things They Will Not Tell You instead of the overwhelming evidence-based consensus of experts. But in any case I'd recommend investigating whether your family history of dementia might correlate with a family history of elevated cholesterol, before the availability of effective & safe statin therapy.

My middle shrank a lot eating a low carb diet after diagnosis. It was rock hard and I could not bend down without my ribs being pushed out - and that hurt so much.
I was never told I had a fatty liver, but going by the results I was really pleased to have a softer and narrower waistline than the 'bay window'.
I was eating more fat and I stopped taking the Metformin and Atorvastatin as I was so very unwell. I had become suicidal in a few weeks as my memory failed and my muscles and joints protested, but despite eating all the 'wrong' things, when tested again my cholesterol had gone down.
I liken the advice on not testing and going by the Hba1c tests as driving without a speedometer and relying on the appearance of fines on the doormat to judge your speed.
By testing after eating you can see exactly what causes your blood glucose to go higher, and do something about it. I lost a lot of weight without even trying and in 6 months was no longer diabetic. I was not even prediabetic.
I do get some flack for advising people to reduce their carb intake until they are in the normal range again - but it made me so very happy to find out that I had done so, I do go on a bit.
I really enjoy eating the meat, fish and seafood, eggs cheese and full fat dairy, the salad, low carb veges and fruits and it is even more enjoyable knowing that I am keeping my blood glucose and Hba1c in the normal range.

I think he thought I had become a bit obsessed as the main message I got was, I was doing OK and my results were not that awful (except perhaps my cholesterol)
Morning @Jenny65 It sounds as if your conversation with the doctor went well and that you are reassured that you are doing fantastically well with diet, exercise and weight loss. Hopefully you can relax for a while and consider the Dr's recommendation of Statins 🙂

Sounds a really positive result.
And you seem to have a great doctor.
I take statins, and have never found any scientific evidence of that type of side effect either.

To be honest, your GP sounds a bit hit and miss. In my head he was doing OK, until the not to worry about bananas or testing.

It really is very much your decision where you set your risk dials when it comes to cautionary/preventative treatment. Whatever your decision YOU have to be comfortable with it. What we thinks is neither here nor there.

Many people eat bananas.
Everything seems to be going the right way, and it's an amazing result and turnaround in such a short time.
Without knowing what the BG was, how long the spike lasted or any other facts, there is no point in winding the risks dials to ten across the board about it.
The doctor seems to have a good handle on them though.

Last edited by a moderator:
Many people eat bananas.
Everything seems to be going the right way, and it's an amazing result and turnaround in such a short time.
Without knowing what the BG was, how long the spike lasted or any other facts, there is no point in winding the risks dials to ten across the board about it.
The doctor seems to have a good handle on them though.

I seem to recall @Jenny65 talking about the rise from the banana with porridge a few days ago; citing it as being a bit high. But hey ho.

It's excellent news that Jenny has been reassured by the feedback from her scan as I recall her being somewhat anxious about it all.

Thanks for the responses everyone, I have read them all and take it all on board. I tend to be an all or nothing person, but have reduced my testing to on waking, bedtime and if I am eating something new to check the affect on my levels but I am not going to test after my already confirmed low sugar results previously eating the same foods. I may change if my HBAC1 is still very high but I am feeling a lot happier and less like I am about to drop down dead of a stroke or heart attack. I wonder if the daily aspirin I have been prescribed years ago for aural migraines will help with this too.

Today I had 111 carbs, my dinner was only 15 carbs, my breakfast was 35.5 and my lunch was 61.3 (very high and not what I planned) I am OK calorie wise but have no spare ones for my snack of nuts or seeds so thats it, me all eaten for the day!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back