little query :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

D_G

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
This may sound like a silly question but.....

when i bolus for lunch and say i have like a sandwich and an apple, thats about 60g carb and i would inject 3 units...but can i have the sandwich for lunch around half 12 and then the apple say 2 hours later as a snack? or do i have to eat it all at once?

Thanks 🙂 x

Your novorapid will most likely peak at some point between 1 and 2 hours (I think nearer the 2 mark in most people) so it it were me I'd probably not want to leave eating it until 2 hours after injecting for it, although the speed in which the sandwich raises your bg may have an impact in whether you're likely to hypo or not.

I'd probably inject for the sandwich when I ate it and then have another injection later when eating the apple.

Assuming "normal" sandwich (2 slices bread) and "normal" apple, carbohydrate contents are approx 50g for sandwich and 10g for apple. Novorapid profile is that it starts working within 10 - 20 mins of injecting and is active for between 3 and 5 hours. So, no need to eat your sandwich and apple together. If you do find that you go too low after eating just sandwich, then you might need to reduce novorapid dose to, say 2 units. Generally, you don't need to inject for low carbohydrate snacks like apples, particularly when you're taking relatively low doses of insulin - many people need 6 units for 60g CHO, for example.

Last edited:
I think this is another thing were we are all different.

I always bolus for an apple at lunch times and then eat it a couple of hours later. It is one of my ways of attempting to combat post meal highs. If possible I try not to eat it until about 3 hours later, as the quick acting insulin takes so long to work in me, that this in when my BG starts to decrease again.

My only suggestion would be to try it about an hour later one day and see how that goes, then maybe try a longer wait.

Ahh i knew it would be a trial and error thing...lol thanks for all your replys and so quickly too :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back