1. Welcome to the Diabetes UK Forum
    Dismiss Notice

Little experiment

Discussion in 'Food/carb queries + recipes' started by bakebeans, Nov 10, 2019 at 3:30 PM.

1. bakebeans

bakebeans Well-Known Member

Relationship to Diabetes:
    Type 2
    Today while out shopping we popped into McDonald’s. I had a wrap of the day, large fries a couple of cheese bites and a large Coke Zero. Way more carbs than I’d usually have in 1 meal the wrap and fries were just under 100g not sure about the cheese bites. 2 hours after eating I tested and was 11.6
    2 hours 10 mins after eating 9.6
    2 hours 20 mins after eating 9.2
    2 hours 30 mins after eating 8.8

I’m a little confused I’ve read on here I definitely don’t want to be seeing double figures and ideally don’t want it to jump more than a couple after eating. My mum is also type 2 diabetic and she’s been given new tablets and told to test as these can make her go under 4. When she spoke to her diabetic nurse in the week she had recorded some test results of 20+ after eating but her nurse told her not to worry about how high it goes what matters is the number it comes back down to and how fast. I’m worried about it her high readings but she seems like a different person on these tablets she’s got so much more energy and when she’s tests in the morning she’s usually below 8 and about the same again before bed

2. trophywench

trophywench Well-Known Member

Type 1
    So how long did your mum stay in double figures? And, what had she actually eaten to produce the 20+? But most importantly what was her BG immediately preceding those meals - if she was already at 17 before eating then the food's not to blame, is it?

Keep testing your blood after your Mc Donalds just in case there's a late spike - fair lump of carbs BUT the fat would slow your absorption of em down, cos it does ~ aka the pizza effect.

3. bakebeans

Type 2
    thanks for replying. She’s been on her new tablets for a couple of weeks now and the first few days was when she saw the really big numbers I seem to remember her saying she started at 11 at one point and 14 at another. She says she can’t remember when I ask her most days so I’ve told her to start writing them down. It just worries me she was in the 20s and told it’s fine.

3 hours after my McDonald’s I’m down to 6.9 I think next month when we take the kids for a McDonald’s I’ll ditch the fries

4. trophywench

Type 1
    I'd rather have the fries and chuck the wrap itself away - orrible dry tasteless things that ae just as vile to eat as the base flour they were fashioned from - worse than ordinary white bread. I'd be much happier with just the filling of a wrap and a small fries.

5. Lizzzie

Lizzzie Well-Known Member

Type 1
    Coke Zero spikes my BGs. I'm sure of it. Anyone else find this?

6. bakebeans

Type 2
    I’ll have to try with Coke Zero on its own and see what happens. I only had a little tea last night of cauliflower rice and curry and was 4.4 2 hours after that, much happier with that

7. Ljc

Ljc Well-Known Member

Type 2
    I find it doesn’t with me but I am on a Basal Insulin (background) which might be covering for it. Are you sure it’s really Coke Zero , what I mean is if you only have it whilst out and it’s served in a glass it may not be what you ordered

8. Ditto

Ditto Well-Known Member

Type 2
    I luvs McDonalds! But you know in your heart of hearts that it's absolute sh*te and you shouldn't be having it let alone feeding it to kids! :D I think all diet drinks are the same ie rubbish. If we do go I get a burger and chuck the bun then you feel part of it but your bg doesn't spike. What I really like to have is a Big Mac meal with a large McFlurry. :eek::p

9. trophywench

Type 1
    No - but Pepsi Max does, whereas Diet Pepsi doesn't. It's potty, the only thing different about Max is the lack of caffeine (or reduced or whatever it is) hence I can only assume whatever is in Pepsi only doesn't spike me when it's got the caffeine left in.