Little bit help required

Jacktar

Relationship to Diabetes
At risk of diabetes
Which is the best bread to use, Which is the best butter/marg to use, and last which is the best crisps /snacks
forgot to mention am prediabetic
Thanks in advance

Which is the best bread to use, Which is the best butter/marg to use, and last which is the best crisps /snacks
forgot to mention am prediabetic
Thanks in advance
There are some low carb breads in the supermarkets, they are often the seeded ones but the best way is to check the carbohydrates on the packet or website, you will find it is both carbs per 100g and per slice. They may be the same per 100g but as the slice is smaller you would be having less carb. Of course you could just have your usual bread but have half as much.
Real butter all the way, far less processed and tastes far better.
Crisps are surprisingly high carb but the 'puffy' ones are often lower carb but alternatives are nuts, pork scratchings or Protein bars like Nature Valley, KIND, Graze but again check the carbs per bar (bars are different sizes)
If you have filling meals with protein and healthy fats which would be better than having snacks.
This is a good link for some ideas for meals and also the introduction is a straightforward explanation of a way of managing the condition and reduce HbA1C and weight if you need to. https://lowcarbfreshwell.com/

There are some low carb breads in the supermarkets, they are often the seeded ones but the best way is to check the carbohydrates on the packet or website, you will find it is both carbs per 100g and per slice. They may be the same per 100g but as the slice is smaller you would be having less carb. Of course you could just have your usual bread but have half as much.
Real butter all the way, far less processed and tastes far better.
Crisps are surprisingly high carb but the 'puffy' ones are often lower carb but alternatives are nuts, pork scratchings or Protein bars like Nature Valley, KIND, Graze but again check the carbs per bar (bars are different sizes)
If you have filling meals with protein and healthy fats which would be better than having snacks.
This is a good link for some ideas for meals and also the introduction is a straightforward explanation of a way of managing the condition and reduce HbA1C and weight if you need to. https://lowcarbfreshwell.com/
many thanks, will look at link

The low carb breads such as LivLife or HiLo tend to have really small slices. I use my wife's GF bread (Warburton's Seeded) as the slices are more or less regular size and are only 10.4g per slice compared to 14.7g for our son's wholemeal, or 16.7g for his granary.

A bag of crisps is remarkably high carb for what it contains and I leave them alone. I'll snack on nuts, mostly peanuts and walnuts, either as they are or in the sorts of bars that @Leadinglights has mentioned. Apples, too, but I restrict myself to a half at a time.

Things like Skips and Wotsits are about half the carbs of potato crisps so do look at packets. Popcorn can be low carb too depending what coatings it has on. We have an air popper which is fun and means we don’t have to add flavourings. Thin sliced bread will be fewer carbs per slice so that can be an easy way to cut carbs a little.

It can be helpful to keep a food diary with carb counts for a few days so you can see where you can easily lower your carb intake.

Back