Liraglutide Shortage

Status
Not open for further replies.

Suzi

Hello All, It has been a while since I posted but I am at a complete loss with the current situation I am now in.
I was informed recently that there is a liraglutide shortage and the doctor contacted me to discuss a review of my medication. Unfortunately a mixture of liraglutide and pioglitazone was the only thing that worked for me - we tried everything else which took over a year to sort out while I was very sick. I spoke to the nurse this morning and we went through the list of medications available and I have tried and failed with all the alternatives and she has said it looks like insulin is the next step. I am absolutely devistated and am really scared.
I don’t understand how this has happened- I checked online and liraglutide can be purchased but it is £50 per pen! If it can be bought then why is it not available.
Any advice on how to cope with insulin would be much appreciated?

Suzi

Let's just think about this, logically. Your body (just like mine and every single other living human plus any number of other mammals) has been reliant on insulin since the day we were born. Although obviously commercially available insulin ain't the 'home brew' sort - it has managed to keep me alive and still kicking for the past 51+ years so I don't look at it as being scary - quite the opposite.

I do agree the thought of jabbing hypodermic needles into yourself is daunting at first, actually in the finish, the insulin pen ones we use these days are not much thicker than a hair and only 4 or 5 mm in length. Teensy weensy little ones!

How your body reacts to whichever insulin(s) they start you on - nobody here or anywhere else, medical degrees and expertise absolutely not withstanding, can predict for the very simple reason that we truly are all different!

Thank you for putting it that way. I think I need to get a hold of myself!
I have been injecting the liraglutide for some time so the injections don’t bother me too much (it’s not the nicest thing to do but I just do it).
I am more concerned about my bodies reaction and how I can keep my self right and not have any hypo’s - I think that’s what scaring me the most. My sugar dropped very low once on the liraglutide and it was one of the most disconcerting moments -I was alone in the middle of a high street shaking and could barely speak. I just want to make sure I am prepared and know how to deal with it but mainly to avoid it and also what to expect - I suppose I’ll just have to wait until they put me on it as you have said we are all different.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back