Liquid Paracetomol

gail2

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Pronouns
She/Her
They have started giving me this as i cant take the tablets. It tastes fine but very sweet and sugary. M y question is this can it affect my BG levals or am i worrying about nothing
Thanks

Often those sweetened versions contain artificial sweeteners, rather than sucrose @gail2 (I’m thinking of the paracetamol suspensions we used to give to the kids)

Does it have any ingredients list on the box? Or on the Patient Information Leaflet?

If it’s hard to find, or understand, you could try asking in the pharmacy where you collect it. The qualified pharmacist there should be able to tell you?

Most of them contain artificial sweeteners, Calpol do still do one with sugar I think but it's hard to find now as most people look for sugar-free (and last time I saw it, it contained artificial red colouring so if it's a white liquid then it's highly unlikely to contain sugar). But as @everydayupsanddowns suggests, it should be on the box and/or the patient information leaflet.

There is another option for paracetamol if you can't swallow tablets that you could consider asking for if you prefer - it also comes in dispersable tablets (the ones that you dissolve in water). Those are very bitter though so most people who can't swallow tablets tend to prefer the liquid.

I dont have anything to do with collection or giving out of them so will ask staff i know that im worrying about nothing but its taken a lot of hard work to get my BG into the right range and I dont want to ruin it.

I dont have anything to do with collection or giving out of them so will ask staff i know that im worrying about nothing but its taken a lot of hard work to get my BG into the right range and I dont want to ruin it.

Asked staff and panic over, it does not contain sugar

I am glad this does not contain sugar.
However, It is important to remember our diabetes is affected by more than just what we eat and things like pain or illness can cause a liver dump which can raise BG. Therefore, it is important to weigh up everything. For example, if you are taking paracetamol to ease some pain, is the pain affecting your BG more than the contents of the medication?
It's good to know you do not have to make this decision this time - something to consider for the future with, for example, cold relief drinks.

Back