Lipoprotein A - Lp(a)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dragonheart

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Has anyone got any experience of very high Lp(a)? With all other detailed parameters and cholesterol panels normal? At a very young age? Gilberts syndrome being the only known medical issue, which appears to be unrelated and typically has better lipid measures anyway.

It’s not me but a family member. It’s not making much sense at all to me right now. Surely if this was so high something else would be less than optimal? I’m even wondering if there could be an error.

I realise this isn’t a diabetes issue but theres a wealth of cholesterol related knowledge here. And as family are recommended to be tested too as it’s strongly genetic related then I might well have it too.

Last edited:
Thanks. I went down a long rabbit hole about it when the results came in and found that site helpful to get a handle on it. I’ve read quite a number of papers too.

It’s the fact nothing else at all is amiss that confuses me. Now it may be in such a young person (late teen) time might change that and maybe I’m just fooling myself to think there could be an error but it simply makes no sense to me that all the other cholesterol breakdowns are well within range and mostly highly optimal. Perhaps they aren’t as interconnected as I think. I guess I was just looking for someone who’d actually experienced this marker being high. It seems something rarely tested, particularly on the nhs as yet but is gaining traction as a marker.

Don't think you'd expect any symptoms until eg stenosis had progressed enough to compromise arterial function - as with elevated non-HDL-C. And it's an independent marker, no reason why other lipid measurements should be out of whack. As you would have seen, there's no direct treatment at the moment, so the guidance is just to optimise all the other risk factors.

Don't think you'd expect any symptoms until eg stenosis had progressed enough to compromise arterial function - as with elevated non-HDL-C. And it's an independent marker, no reason why other lipid measurements should be out of whack. As you would have seen, there's no direct treatment at the moment, so the guidance is just to optimise all the other risk factors.
Yeah kind of the conclusion we came to. It just seems odd that a marker that consists of LDL and APO(a) can be so high when both of those are low and ldl particle size shows hardly any small sized one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back