Link between De-Hydration and Insu;in take up

Status
Not open for further replies.

Merryterry

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Is there a link between Insulin working and de-hydration?

During the night befpore last I got up six times for a measured wee and did 2 lires. I woke up very tired and not feeling well. I had breakfast and inject my insulin dose but towards lunchtime my BGs were rising instead of falling. At lunchtime my BG was 20 mmols and still rising. My Insulin had not worked at all. I worked out that the amount of urine I had passed at night, ( I have and enlarged prostate),had left me de-hydrated. I quickly re-hydrated and able to rectify matters with extra units at me next meal/

Who is actually treating your prostate problem and what with? - I don't actually want you to tell me these things BUT whether it's diabetes or summat else - help really is available at the end of the phone, so similar to the Diabetes UK Care Line - Prostate UK also have one and it is manned/womanned by fully trained Nurses who can easily and readily be approached on any issue - and 'Quality of Life' is a very important issue !!

There are literally shedloads of different and better treatments for all and any prostate problems becoming widely available on the NHS - and P.UK know about them all! Please give them a ring, because dehydration is absolutely not a feature any health professional would welcome, whether the patient is 19 or 90.

Is there a link between Insulin working and de-hydration?

During the night befpore last I got up six times for a measured wee and did 2 lires. I woke up very tired and not feeling well. I had breakfast and inject my insulin dose but towards lunchtime my BGs were rising instead of falling. At lunchtime my BG was 20 mmols and still rising. My Insulin had not worked at all. I worked out that the amount of urine I had passed at night, ( I have and enlarged prostate),had left me de-hydrated. I quickly re-hydrated and able to rectify matters with extra units at me next meal/

I am on insulin , have prostate problems ,take Tamlosin, get up between 2 to 3 times at night, always take a glass of water to bed . Wake up from buzzer from my Libra reader alarm glucose between 4.4 and 4.6 rising by 9 oclock to 5.7 breakfast porridge blueberries table spoon Greek yogurt . Rises to 12 to 14 then drops to 8.10 by lunch . After lunch rises again to 10 to 12 drops to 7 or 8 by dinner after a walk. Rises after dinner then falls by bedtime to 7 or 10 .

I am a hearty eater so my level could improve but i am happy at the moment average around 8

Last edited by a moderator:
Who is actually treating your prostate problem and what with? - I don't actually want you to tell me these things BUT whether it's diabetes or summat else - help really is available at the end of the phone, so similar to the Diabetes UK Care Line - Prostate UK also have one and it is manned/womanned by fully trained Nurses who can easily and readily be approached on any issue - and 'Quality of Life' is a very important issue !!

There are literally shedloads of different and better treatments for all and any prostate problems becoming widely available on the NHS - and P.UK know about them all! Please give them a ring, because dehydration is absolutely not a feature any health professional would welcome, whether the patient is 19 or 90.
Hi, Thanks for reply. With respect to my BPH? I am invesigating a fairly new, non invasive technique, called PAE (Prostate Artery Embolism). Done by a Radiographer who inserts a cannula into an artery in eith thigh and works his way to the arteries that feed the Prostate and blocks them off with plastic beads. The Prostate is thus denied a blood supply and shrinks. Available on NHS but long wait. I have had preliminary scan and awaiting results.

Useful info on help by Diabetes UK

Hi, Thanks for reply. With respect to my BPH? I am invesigating a fairly new, non invasive technique, called PAE (Prostate Artery Embolism). Done by a Radiographer who inserts a cannula into an artery in eith thigh and works his way to the arteries that feed the Prostate and blocks them off with plastic beads. The Prostate is thus denied a blood supply and shrinks. Available on NHS but long wait. I have had preliminary scan and awaiting results.

Useful info on help by Diabetes UK
My other half looked into that but his urologist deemed it unsuitable as the prostate was too large, in the end he had a TURP (a second one after 10 years) which has so far been successful and reduced the loo visits in the night for 7 to 1 so a great improvement and no need to take the Tamsulosin.

Hope you are able to avoid dehydration and any associated challenges it brings to your diabetes.

Fingers crossed for you and your PAE investigations. 🙂

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back