Link between blood sugar and sleep?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reptile

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Just wondering if there is a link between 'normal blood sugar and sleep. Last night I went to bed with a reading of 5.3 and then slept like a log. I haven't slept so well in years. Is this linked to chemistry or the joy of good numbers?

I often find that it is the other way around. If I go to bed early and sleep really well, my levels drop quite significantly through the night. That said, I usually go to bed early because I am tired and that will often be because I have had a very active day and that in itself will lower your levels through the night.
Having said that, I am Type 1 and obviously inject insulin, which needs to be adjusted to take these things into consideration to some extent, so it's difficult to get a clear picture as to the cause and effect. Good sleep is certainly beneficial to diabetes management but not always easy to achieve.

I’m not sure about the science behind it all but I was told my insomnia may have been a contributing factor to my diabetes. I would get up many times during the night so I suppose my body just kept pumping out glucose for energy. Saying that since I’ve got my sugars under control I sleep well, so what came first ? The chicken or the egg ?

Yeah, I had undiagnosed sleep apnea for years and I am convinced it brought on my diabetes at an age earlier than every other male in my family got it. Poor sleep also leads to poor weight management etc. I don't find I sleep better when my sugars are low, but as previously said, usually my sugars are low as I have put a shift in on the treadmill and then that enhances the sleep

I don’t know of any direct association with diabetes and insomnia, but if your glucose is high your kidneys overwork while you sleep to flush the glucose out, so your sleep is interrupted by getting up for a wee.

I have never had any problem with sleeping. Now I sleep around 8 or 9 hours, unless the Libre vibrates and bleeps me awake. Even then, I just correct a hypo and go back to sleep.

Good point about kidneys. I think they have played a roll for me while I've been off-piste.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back