Linagliptin and mixed messages

Status
Not open for further replies.

Felinia

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
With an HbA1c of 59 (fallen from 88 after a 5 month illness) I was on Sukkarto and the maximum dose of Canagliflozin in July. My last HbA1c rose to 69 just before Christmas (yes I was not as good as I should have been), and my kidney function had decreased. The nurse said glucose was far too high and prescribed the maximum dose of Linagliptin, threatening insulin in 3 months time. But when I checked my results online (when they finally got posted) my GP reported: Kidney function normal on 3 measures and dropped slightly on 4th measure - no action required: HbA1c increased but no further action required at this time - monitor in December 2023.
So mixed messages but a prompt to me to be better with my diet. So I reduced my daily carbs from 90gm to 60gm. I went with what the nurse said as she is diabetes treatment trained. However I've been taking the Linagliptin for a week now and I'm getting side effects I didn't have before. Since day 1 I'm queasy a lot of the time, and retch first thing. I have increasingly bad cramps and bowel issues. By day 6 I was stuck by the toilet for 6 hours. The nearest I can describe it was like taking the bowel prep Picalax before a colonoscopy. These are not listed known side effects. Has anyone else had these side effects, and if so, did they settle? Could it be that my body needs more than 60gm carbs?
Any information welcomed. Thanks

That sounds horrible @Felinia Google says diarrhoea can be a rare side effect, but so can pancreatitis. Personally, I’d speak to your diabetes nurse and get advice and reassurance.

Hi @Felinia I am on my 5th week of Sitagliptin, which is related, without any side effects. Given you're on other medication and having such symptoms I would seek professional advice. Hope you get it sorted quickly. Nick.

Many thanks for the replies. My insides seem better this morning, but I have a phone appointment lined up to be on the safe side. I wonder - sometimes a tummy upset might just be a tummy upset and I expected the worst! My neighbour tells me her husband and daughter have been down with a tummy bug.

Yes, there has been something "doing the rounds" over here in Sussex, too!

@Felinia - makes sense to get the reassurance. It might also be sensible to talk about the threat of insulin versus review in 12 months messaging.

Just a thought.

@Felinia - makes sense to get the reassurance. It might also be sensible to talk about the threat of insulin versus review in 12 months messaging.

Just a thought.
As the nurse threatened insulin in 3 months, I'm hoping to have my HbA1c taken in March.

With an HbA1c of 59 (fallen from 88 after a 5 month illness) I was on Sukkarto and the maximum dose of Canagliflozin in July. My last HbA1c rose to 69 just before Christmas (yes I was not as good as I should have been), and my kidney function had decreased. The nurse said glucose was far too high and prescribed the maximum dose of Linagliptin, threatening insulin in 3 months time. But when I checked my results online (when they finally got posted) my GP reported: Kidney function normal on 3 measures and dropped slightly on 4th measure - no action required: HbA1c increased but no further action required at this time - monitor in December 2023.
So mixed messages but a prompt to me to be better with my diet. So I reduced my daily carbs from 90gm to 60gm. I went with what the nurse said as she is diabetes treatment trained. However I've been taking the Linagliptin for a week now and I'm getting side effects I didn't have before. Since day 1 I'm queasy a lot of the time, and retch first thing. I have increasingly bad cramps and bowel issues. By day 6 I was stuck by the toilet for 6 hours. The nearest I can describe it was like taking the bowel prep Picalax before a colonoscopy. These are not listed known side effects. Has anyone else had these side effects, and if so, did they settle? Could it be that my body needs more than 60gm carbs?
Any information welcomed. Thanks
I had the same effects on Sitagliptin, stopped taking it after 2 weeks, only coping by taking Immodium almost every day.

Please don't see insulin as a threat, best thing for me, although I am thankful the flozins and gliptides were not part of the T2 pathway at that time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back