Lime soda

Status
Not open for further replies.

brendawright

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Morning, in this hot weather I've been drinking a lot of soda water with a dash of bottled lime cordial. I'm reading totally conflicting reports as to if this is good or bad for me.
Does anyone know please. (Type 2)

@brendawright are you able to test your blood sugars?
The reason I ask is that our bodies are all different and the amount of cordial we use is different.
Therefore, it is best to test the impact of the lime and soda you mix on your body and not worry about what happens to other bodies.
There will definitely be sugar in the cordial but if you only use a small amount or drink it infrequently, you body may be able to tolerate it.

I have been having it for months with sparkling mineral water and during that time significantly reduced my HbA1c, so it suits me OK. Testing, testing, testing so you know if it suits your body.

@brendawright are you able to test your blood sugars?
The reason I ask is that our bodies are all different and the amount of cordial we use is different.
Therefore, it is best to test the impact of the lime and soda you mix on your body and not worry about what happens to other bodies.
There will definitely be sugar in the cordial but if you only use a small amount or drink it infrequently, you body may be able to tolerate it.
OK thank you. I don't test.

I was, probably wrongly, under the impression it was the best to drink apart from water.
Looks like it's water again ¡!

OK thank you. I don't test.

I was, probably wrongly, under the impression it was the best to drink apart from water.
Looks like it's water again ¡!
Try the flavoured sparkling water, lots available. But it does depend on how much cordial you add, I have occasionally a Robinson's crushed lime and mint cordial and it only needs a teaspoon for a good flavour, with some added mint and ice is a refreshing drink.

A number of the supermarket brand lime cordials have artificial sweeteners, so no sugars - unlike the ‘well-known’ brand that is sugar based!

Morning, in this hot weather I've been drinking a lot of soda water with a dash of bottled lime cordial. I'm reading totally conflicting reports as to if this is good or bad for me.

As many on here might have twigged I don't much care for things being classified into only two categories, good or bad. .

If you are worried about carbs then by the time whatever carbs are in the lime cordial have been diluted with water they will not be a significant contributor to your daily intake unless perhaps you are aiming for an extremely low carb diet and drinking it by the bucket load. It might have a bit of "sugar" in it but am not into demonising sugar in food as such. I prefer to think of it as just another carb - makes working out whether some foodstuff is acceptable for my regime much easier.

You do not test but if you did my money would be on you not being able to detect the effect of a couple of glasses of lime soda on your blood glucose.

As @Sussexmax said, Asda for example do a no added sugar lime cordial that is virtually zero carbs & the soda water should be absolutely zero cabs. So that combination should be fine.

I disagree with @Docb on this one as the Robinsons version with mint is 4g of carb per 100ml diluted (6:1). A half pint glass would be therefore be around 11g.

If it is a sugar based cordial, then you are adding extra (unnecessary) sugar to your diet. To me drinking this would equate to putting a spoon of sugar in your tea or coffee and if you are drinking quite a lot of it (several glasses a day), then it soon mounts up. With diabetes, learning to read food labels is as important for drinks as it is for food, so look at the nutritional information label on the bottle and see what it says for the carb content.
I think it also helps to reduce your craving for sweetness and I find a slice of lemon/lime and a sprig of mint/lemon balm or a slice of cucumber or slice of apple makes a glass of tap water pleasantly interesting without any need for artificial flavours from a bottle.

And a whole litre bottle of Tesco's Lemon & Lime flavour sparkling water would be Zero carbs. Open bottle in our fridge door at this very moment. It is 'tarty' but therefore I can't drink that much of it, but perfectly OK for a few swigs to take tablets with. To thirst quench, personally I prefer their 'Summer fruits' 'Apple and raspberry (or & blackberry)' and love their 'Orange & Mango' cos I can easily drink a bigger glass, though our everyday use glasses (the sort we give the grandkids or adults a drink of 'pop' in) are 350ml (ish) - and they have matching pattern 150ml (ish) glasses. (not the sort of glass I'd serve alcohol in, as there's a cupboard full of cut glass glasses, just waiting to be filled!)

PS - I even like our tap water - it's hard water where we live so though it's a bit more difficult than soft Birmingham water to get an instant lather when you wash your hands/wash up and kettles get furred up - it really does also make a decent cup of tea PDQ!

Often have lime & soda in pub when driving, it's well diluted by soda & can't say I've noticed drink effecting bg levels.

As @Sussexmax said, Asda for example do a no added sugar lime cordial that is virtually zero carbs & the soda water should be absolutely zero cabs. So that combination should be fine.

I disagree with @Docb on this one as the Robinsons version with mint is 4g of carb per 100ml diluted (6:1). A half pint glass would be therefore be around 11g.

Just to tidy things up, I agree with your disagreement with what I wrote!

In my defence i would say that it further emphasises my underlying point labelling something "good" or "bad" is most often unhelpful. Most things are somewhere between the two, depending on the details.

All helpful and still not sure haha. Thank you

Maybe I can summarise things...next time you buy lime cordial, checkout the label and pick the lowest carb. Err on the more dilute side when you dilute it and enjoy!

PS.. have you thought about fresh limes and using them to add lime juice and a couple of slices to your soda? It's what i would do!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back