Life without a pancreas...

Status
Not open for further replies.

pottersusan

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
I've recently been told by my surgeon, that more than 10% of people who've had a total pancreatectomy die of hypoglycaemia. So, us pancreasless folk need to be very careful.

I've recently been told by my surgeon, that more than 10% of people who've had a total pancreatectomy die of hypoglycaemia. So, us pancreasless folk need to be very careful.
Bottom line is everyone dies at some point in life, if you dwell on % of how people die then life is going to be very miserable 🙂
I have Addison's disease and in theory anyone with Addison's could die within 20 mins of a crisis starting. Do I worry about it nope. 🙂

I don't worry about it either, but I don't wont to increase the chances unnecessarily 😉

Did the surgeon say what the major factors for it are? I understand that there are other problems in losing a pancreas, but unless you have had the extensive extra surgery like you have Susan then they are injecting/pumping like other T1s with no insulin? :confused:

Did the surgeon say what the major factors for it are? I understand that there are other problems in losing a pancreas, but unless you have had the extensive extra surgery like you have Susan then they are injecting/pumping like other T1s with no insulin? :confused:
No he didn't and I didn't ask. He gave me this info to try and add to my case for a cgm. Apparently over 10% is statistically significant in nhs terms. He's written a very 'polite' letter to my diabetes consultant telling him to stop messing with my life 😎

If I worried about things I'd be dead by now, I got over cancer, I had 5 operations in 2 months on my foot and could have had bad reaction to the anaesthetic but there is little point in worrying about it as we all go some time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back