Life after Metformin..?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shakespear

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Hi! I'm new to the message board, & a little nervous about my questions. I've had type 2 for over a year, is there anyone out there who's stabilised their levels and came off Metformin?

I had to stop taking Metformin as it was just too nasty to live like that - I had already started to eat a low carb diet so there was no problem in returning to normal numbers in a few weeks after diagnosis.

Yes, there are loads of people here who either never took metformin or who did and have come off it!

My DN said I could come off it, but as it definitely helps with weight I'm still taking a minimal dose. The DN understood perfectly that as a tiny person (5' nothing!) my daily calorie burn is only around 1300 which doesn't leave much room for manoeuvre in a sustainable diet. I supplement the calorie burn by walking between 15 and 20k steps per day, but the metformin just helps a little. So yes, there is hope @Shakespear 🙂

Your diet is going to have the biggest impact on reducing your blood glucose and keeping in the normal range once you get there.
So whether you will be able to stop the metformin will be how well you can maintain a suitable dietary regime.

Hi! I'm new to the message board, & a little nervous about my questions. I've had type 2 for over a year, is there anyone out there who's stabilised their levels and came off Metformin?

I started on 1000mg, it was reduced to 500mg after 3 months when my hba1c came down to the 30s and the GP wanted me to stop it last year - I decide to stay on it.

Yes.. chucked the pills in the bin after 3 weeks of hell and changed what and when I ate completely.
Remission within 4 months.
Intermittent fasting (skip 'breakfast' and just have 2 meals per day) and ultra low carb.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back