Licorice holds key diabetes treatment

Status
Not open for further replies.

Northerner

Admin (Retired)
Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Researchers have discovered an anti-diabetes substance in an unusual place -- the root of a licorice plant.

But it's not as surprising as you might think. Licorice root, or glycyrrhiza, has been used in traditional healing for hundreds of years and contains properties known to alleviate digestive disorders.

But it also contains amorfrutins, a diabetic substance also found in the fruit of the Amorpha fruticosa bush that can treat the symptoms of type-2 diabetes, scientists at the Max Planck Institute for Molecular Genetics in Berlin have discovered.

It works by targeting onto a receptor in the nucleus called PPARy, which helps metabolize fat and glucose.

http://www.torontosun.com/2012/04/17/licorice-holds-key-diabetes-treatment-study

Researchers have discovered an anti-diabetes substance in an unusual place -- the root of a licorice plant.

But it's not as surprising as you might think. Licorice root, or glycyrrhiza, has been used in traditional healing for hundreds of years and contains properties known to alleviate digestive disorders.

But it also contains amorfrutins, a diabetic substance also found in the fruit of the Amorpha fruticosa bush that can treat the symptoms of type-2 diabetes, scientists at the Max Planck Institute for Molecular Genetics in Berlin have discovered.

It works by targeting onto a receptor in the nucleus called PPARy, which helps metabolize fat and glucose.

http://www.torontosun.com/2012/04/17/licorice-holds-key-diabetes-treatment-study

I absolutley love liqourice:D ( so does T) and thats a problem for me, I like it too much, so I don't buy it often:( Sheena

Cannot stand the stuff personally, for many years I was given some bassetts liquorice allsorts from MIL who for some reason thought I loved them,if only i'd knewn what i do now eh I would never have introduced them to mr bin 🙂

Cannot stand the stuff personally, for many years I was given some bassetts liquorice allsorts from MIL who for some reason thought I loved them,if only i'd knewn what i do now eh I would never have introduced them to mr bin 🙂

Aaaawwww shucks, I missed out there then, didn't I lol Sheena

Does this mean I can buy some Allsorts now without any feelings of guilt?:confused:

The original article was about an extract from liquorice, which is not the same as chewing the liquorice root (which I remember buying at the chemists when I was at school) or eating Allsorts.

I am well aware of that. A little bit of light relief not meant to offend anyone but obviously did.

I am well aware of that. A little bit of light relief not meant to offend anyone but obviously did.

You didnt offend anyone Maisie, just some people have had humour by passes in a former life x

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back