Libre2 transmission range.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tersane

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
The Libre2 with it's new constant scanning is very good, except the short range that you have to have, to get within, to obtain the readings. If my phone is more than about 15 feet away, even with nothing in the way, it loses contact and I have to do a scan for the readings to be displayed. I can accept that going upstairs leaving the phone downstairs will break contact, but not if I can see the phone and still be out of range.

The Libre2 with it's new constant scanning is very good, except the short range that you have to have, to get within, to obtain the readings. If my phone is more than about 15 feet away, even with nothing in the way, it loses contact and I have to do a scan for the readings to be displayed. I can accept that going upstairs leaving the phone downstairs will break contact, but not if I can see the phone and still be out of range.
Scan the phone if you’ve had it away from you for a while and it will fill in the gap from last 8hrs. Or keep it in your pocket.

I find if my Libre and phone are parted for more than about 10 mins, it then leaves a gap in the readings. The Libre sends the data using Bluetooth low energy (BLE), so has a limited range, given the tiny battery in the sensor and the Bluetooth technology. I've also found it does this if I have a bath or shower, the signals can't travel much through water. I'm afraid that is simply the limitation of this technology.

That said, quite why it can't 'catch up' once the Libre and the phone are back within range I don't know. Perhaps Abbott will fix this in later versions? Like Lucy suggested, if you scan it, it will fill in any gaps for up to 8 hours.

Mine has had gaps quite a few times. The most annoying was when it disconnected just before I went to bed, when I woke having slept in, the gap was just over 8 hours, so that data was lost. As a T2 it's not a massive issue, but frustrating, had I scanned it before going to bed, it would have had all the data.

That said, quite why it can't 'catch up' once the Libre and the phone are back within range I don't know.
My guess is that that's just how the sensors were designed. There is (I suspect) just no communication from the phone to the sensor except via NFC. I think people have reported that Libre 3 works better in this situation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back