Libre2 to Dexcom7

CathyFP

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1.5 LADA
Pronouns
She/Her
My diabetes clinic is moving me from Libre2 to Dexcom7 in the hope of improving accuracy and giving me more warning of hypos. Has anyone else changed between these two CGMs and do you have any tips on how to do so or reports on how the change went. Thanks

Yes @CathyFP - I changed from Libre 2 to Dexcom G7 and the G7 is absolutely amazing! The first thing I noticed was how much more accurate it was. Then I noticed the larger range of alarms and how useful they are.

I had no problems swapping over. I was so thrilled to get the G7. I just made sure my Low alarm was set at a good level, then explored the other settings over the first week or two. It was an extremely smooth and easy swap.

I find the G7 application almost painless and much better than the Libre. I do have a tip for that: you need to press the applicator against your arm because that engages the insertion device. If you don’t press it onto your arm, you won’t be able to press the trigger button to shoot the G7 in.

Also, always use the overtape that comes with the sensor. It’s brilliant.

Hi @CathyFP, I also moved from Libre 2 to G7 about 12 months ago and, like @Inka, I find it amazingly accurate, pretty reliable (extremely reliable in relation to L2) and I make full use of the better Alerts (Dexcom call their Alarms Alerts).

I agree with the observation about needing to fully press the applicator fully onto my body, before the button releases the sensor; and I use the supplied overtake.

I apply all my G7 sensors onto my abdomen, I find that so much more convenient. This an approved zone by Dexcom and therefore is still fully compliant with the DVLA.

I know @Inka uses the hand held Receiver (the equivalent of Libre's Reader). I recommend you ask for one of those on prescription (they are expensive) even if you intend to use the phone app. G7 is not so compatible with many phones and the app has a couple of less reliable features. So I have both my phone and the Receiver paired with each sensor. The Receiver is light, small and really convenient and very quickly provides a reading, very discreetly if discretion is needed.

The phone app is a little different to Libre's app; things in different places. Many more options for displays than the Receiver. An unusual weakness that I've encountered is that it can stop providing readings if not in mainland UK! There is something in the Dexcom software that checks if you are in a Dexcom registered country; so I've had failures from my phone in Paris, onto French German border, in Jersey and Guernsey. Once the phone app decides you are "non-compliant" it freezes and won't allow you to do anything other than reinstal the app. This is not just very inconvenient but potentially dangerous once you've become very dependent on the phone app. That geo detection bit of software kicks in if you happen to be out of a wi-fi zone and mobile roaming data not available. Eg on a ferry to Guernsey, while passing through Jersey and the ship's WiFi wasn't available and I didn't want to pay for "at sea" International Maritime roaming rates. Dexcom are adamant that this shouldn't occur and the sensor app connectivity should be independent of wi-fi or mobile data; but I've had this on all 4 overseas trips. Fortunately after the first time I made Dexcom provide me with a Receiver at their expense and thereafter I've just switched from phone to Receiver. Now I happily use either and rather than being inconvenient to carry 2 displaying items I have come to appreciate both. At home my phone sits in a central part of the house and the light weight Receiver is in a pocket - reassuring me or alerting me and the phone app when I'm back in its range picks up 8 hrs of "data while away".

Overall G7 is great. Some differences, but far from difficult to adapt to. Not perfect, but those are acceptable ( it's just frustrating that it seems neither Libre nor Dexcom can update their apps or Receivers to do simple essential things that any user would tell them it would be great if .....

Got to dash. Don't hesitate to ask more.

Yep, I have the G7 Receiver. I’ve recently got a new phone and I’m pretty sure it’s compatible with Dexcom - but I haven’t bothered to try because the Receiver is so good 🙂 It maintains great connection with the sensor, so I can move around the house or even go in the top part of my garden and it will still receive a signal. I also find it much easier to take out and look at than a phone. It’s absolutely dinky and very light. I’m very glad I have it and, like @Proud to be erratic , would recommend you request one.

I’m still quite new to CGM and it’s been very beneficial, having used both the Libra2Plus & DexcomOne+, would love <3 it if I was moved over to Dexcom
having fought a battle to be prescribed sensors on the NHS in the first place I was just relieved when funding was available, the choice it seems of my surgery is the Libra2Plus, for me the added features of the G7 are not needed, it’s the DexcomOne+ that would be my choice

Since, @goodybags, these 2 devices fall into the same cost bracket for the NHS there is no significant financial reason for a GP to resist changing you from Libre 2+ to Dexcom One+. G6 and G7 are in a more expensive price bracket, which is why, generally, they are approved and funded by Hospital Trusts. But Libre 2 and Dexcom One should be interchangeable, from a cost perspective.

Since, @goodybags, these 2 devices fall into the same cost bracket for the NHS there is no significant financial reason for a GP to resist changing you from Libre 2+ to Dexcom One+. G6 and G7 are in a more expensive price bracket, which is why, generally, they are approved and funded by Hospital Trusts. But Libre 2 and Dexcom One should be interchangeable, from a cost perspective.
thought regarding cost that would be the case @Proud to be erratic
I might ask (depending on how long they decide they are happy to keep prescribing me with sensors)
my situation is, my GP applied to ICB for funding, initially it was refused but after a second application to -not sure who, was made through my DSN the funding came through, and they chose the libra for me

following that recent chat with my DSN, I’m actually at the hospital next week & have my first (I think ever face to face) appointment with a consultant, so will see what he says.

certainly if I end up self funding I would without a doubt choose a DexcomOne+ the Libra I’ve found in comparison unreliable, although to be fair to Abbot they have (without to many questions)
replaced the sensors that have either failed or given me questionable performance 🙄

I have requested a Dexcom G7 receiver from my clinic but been told it isn’t necessary. I will try with my phone and see how I get on.

I have requested a Dexcom G7 receiver from my clinic but been told it isn’t necessary. I will try with my phone and see how I get on.
Persist. Tell your clinic that even though Dexcom say it shouldn't fail because the geolocator gets confused when it changes broadband sources - it does and those broadband changes occasionally cause the app to freeze, demanding you reinstall, but can't because the geolocation tech is preventing that.

Also, I'm on android and I'm now receiving regular messages telling me to not upgrade to android 15, which the G7 app won't work with. The message repeats can't be stopped, only default is remind later, which comes every few hours; it's puerile, Dexcom just sometimes treats its customers as if wholly incapable of reading guidance - I guess that is their safety default. But these messages frustratingly pop up at the most inconvenient moments and can't be ducked. Another plus point for the Receiver.

If necessary be economical with the facts to make it clear you must have a Receiver. I realise they are expensive for the NHS, but they are really useful as a default option.

Back