LIBRE

Status
Not open for further replies.

JACK123456789

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Hi All,

I have now got the Libre on the NHS However they are giving me the libre 1 and not 2. i this right?

Thanks
Jack

Hi All,

I have now got the Libre on the NHS However they are giving me the libre 1 and not 2. i this right?

Thanks
Jack
It’s certainly surprising. Most of us who were started off on the original Libre were gradually switched over to the 2, and I understand that the original is to be withdrawn soon. Have you queried it with whoever prescribed it? And does the prescription specify which? Mine prescribes the Libre 2 specifically, but my pharmacist did make a mistake once and issue me with the original.

Hi Robin,

I hope you are doing well.

it say libre freestyle on my prescription. do you think i should phone the team and get them to change this or will this be done in time as i have only just started on them.

Hi Robin,

I hope you are doing well.

it say libre freestyle on my prescription. do you think i should phone the team and get them to change this or will this be done in time as i have only just started on them.
Robin's right! Do phone your team. They may say they intended Libre 2, in which case you can ask them to give you a new prescription specifying Libre 2.

If they say they didn't intend Libre 2-- ask them for the Libre 2; and, if they say no-- push them as to why.

The Libre 2 is literally a life-saver. The big difference over the Libre 1 is that the Libre 2 has an alarm function, to let you know when you're going hypo. When I'm awake, I can tell when I'm going hypo-- but, to deal with the risk of nocturnal hypos, the Libre 2 is invaluable.

They probably did intend the Libre 2, just a slip in writing the prescription! Fingers crossed, everything should be sorted once you ring them.

Finally, in case you're not aware of this-- NICE guidance is now that we should have a choice between a 'flash' glucose monitor, like Libre 2, and a continuous glucose monitor: https://www.nice.org.uk/news/articl...nformation-after-updated-nice-recommendations

Personally, I would rather have CGM; I'd rather just glance at my phone than have to wave my phone under my arm! But my Clinical Commissioning Group hasn't yet decided whether to approve funding for CGMs (as well as Libre 2).

If you'd rather have CGM, and you haven't asked about it yet, you can ask when you contact your team.

Robin's right! Do phone your team. They may say they intended Libre 2, in which case you can ask them to give you a new prescription specifying Libre 2.

If they say they didn't intend Libre 2-- ask them for the Libre 2; and, if they say no-- push them as to why.

The Libre 2 is literally a life-saver. The big difference over the Libre 1 is that the Libre 2 has an alarm function, to let you know when you're going hypo. When I'm awake, I can tell when I'm going hypo-- but, to deal with the risk of nocturnal hypos, the Libre 2 is invaluable.

They probably did intend the Libre 2, just a slip in writing the prescription! Fingers crossed, everything should be sorted once you ring them.

Finally, in case you're not aware of this-- NICE guidance is now that we should have a choice between a 'flash' glucose monitor, like Libre 2, and a continuous glucose monitor: https://www.nice.org.uk/news/articl...nformation-after-updated-nice-recommendations

Personally, I would rather have CGM; I'd rather just glance at my phone than have to wave my phone under my arm! But my Clinical Commissioning Group hasn't yet decided whether to approve funding for CGMs (as well as Libre 2).

If you'd rather have CGM, and you haven't asked about it yet, you can ask when you contact your team.
Hi,

Thank you for taking the time in responding to me. i will give them a call today as i have been self funding the libre 2 for a while now and i know how good it is, it just seemed odd when i pick my first NHS one up it was the libre 1.

Guess is pharmacy mistake.

Was once in Asda & customer had been given libre 2 sensors instead of 1, assistant said they rectify mistake & issue libre 1 sensors instead, asked if I could have them being libre 2 user, was told No as items had been dispensed & sensors would go in bin. Made my blood boil at time as don't like waste.

I think pharmacies are obliged to prescribe medications as written. So worth contacting your GP to ensure your surgery specify Libre 2.

As others have said, Libre 1 is being discontinued - so deliberately choosing to prescribe Libre 1 seems unlikely.

Probably worth mentioning that Libre 1 & 2 are not CGMs but Flash Glucose monitors which means you need to touch your phone or Reader to the sensor to take a reading. The Dexcom devices are true CGMs but more expensive and thicker. The new Libre 3 is a CGM and not quite available in the UK yet.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back