1. Welcome to the Diabetes UK Forum
    Dismiss Notice

Libre users... Miao Miao?

Discussion in 'General Messageboard' started by grainger, Aug 16, 2019 at 8:29 AM.

1. grainger

grainger Well-Known Member

Relationship to Diabetes:
    Type 1
    morning all

Quick one wondering how many of you have a Miao Miao and if they are worth it? Or alternatives you find better.

Thanks x

2. leonS

leonS Well-Known Member

Type 1
    I have just been told that I can have a libre. BUT as it does not give alarms on low BG it is of limited use to me. I get little or no indication of a hypo.

I too would like to have views on Miao Miao or BluCon. I do not have a smart phone, so could I use either with a smart watch?

What app could I use (xdrip?).

Any help would be much appreciated.

3. Kaylz

Kaylz Well-Known Member

Type 1
    Are any of you members of the Abbott Libre Off Topic page on Facebook?

There are quite a few Miao Miao users on there that may be able to help, I only suggest that as I'm not actually sure how many of the members use it
    xx

4. Bruce Stephens

Bruce Stephens Well-Known Member

Type 1
    You'll likely find it useful regardless, just because it's easy to scan whenever you want (so several times an hour if you like, though that's probably overkill) and each time you get the arrows so at least when you're awake you ought to be able to reduce hypos. And it'll show patterns. (The Libre 2 will provide alarms, but we don't know when that'll arrive.)

5. SB2015

SB2015 Well-Known Member

Type 1
    Hi @grainger
    I am absolutely no help on the techs stuff however ...

Although I still have hypo awareness, I still benefit greatly from using the Libre.
    It enabled me to drop my HbA1c by 10 and more importantly improved my Time in Range.
    The arrows, and ease of checking enable me to head off many hypos and hypers, as I can react earlier.
    The training videos available through Abbott are very informative and have helped me make better use of the sensors. If you are offered it, whether you have alarms (at present. Libre 2 is coming which will have alarms)
    or not, it is so useful.

6. Matt Cycle

Matt Cycle Well-Known Member

Type 1
    I had to attend the Libre training day a couple of weeks ago as a prerequisite of going onto the 6 months prescription trial. I asked the Abbott rep about the Libre 2 and he said although officially he's not supposed to talk about it, unofficially he thinks it will be released in the first half of next year. Not long to wait. :)

7. leonS

leonS Well-Known Member

Type 1
    Many thanks for the help.
    I was aware of the advantages of using Libre without alarms but I feel that it would be a great advantage to me to have alarms.

The Sony SWR smartwatch 3 retails at £255-00 or second hand from £135-00 or so. It has a number of features that I would never use, in fact the ONLY feature that I would actually need is the low BG alarm

I downloaded the instructions for the watch. It appears that a smart phone is an essential requirement. Again I have no requirement for any mobile phone.

When the cost of the blucon and the required chargers is added in the G6 begins to look more attractive at £159-00 / month. I shall try the libre and see if the updated version becomes available on the NHS, before considering other options.

Many thanks again for your help.

Benny G likes this.
  8. Benny G

Benny G Well-Known Member

I picked up my Sony Smartwatch 3 from ebay for £60 (Sony doesn't make smartwatches anymore, so they are all second user)
    No you don't need a phone.
    You can sync the watch to a phone or tablet, 'wear' is a free app on the Google store.

G6 is easier to set up. I think most people use the G6 with their mobile phone.

Or, use finger sticks and check every two hours.

9. grainger

grainger Well-Known Member

Type 1
    thanks all.

10. leonS

leonS Well-Known Member

Type 1
    My thanks to you, Benny G. Cancel order for smart phone and order tablet! Why do I need equipment that is no longer manufactured? I did find such much cheaper on e-bay by the way,

Twenty years ago I would not have needed this technology, forty years ago I would have understood it, but then computers needed hundreds of amps to work, and a large room to live in.

It was unkind of you to suggest that I finger prick every two hours - twelve times a day. My GP would have kittens; he thinks that once or twice a day is enough for anyone.

It may come to that. BG was 2.4 mmol/L when I woke this morning, and I did not know this until I tested, waking up at all is a real bonus, I think.

Benny G likes this.
  11. Benny G

Benny G Well-Known Member

Hi Leon, I know what you mean about the redundancy of technology, I have a room with a half dozen old pc's and a drawer full of old phones and tablets, most of which should be scrapped or ebayed, but some still have their uses. Syncing xdrip from an old tablet to an old watch being one of them. I know fiddling with tech can be both costly and frustrating for many people, and a complete turn off for others.
    You said you have access to libre, which I think is a game changer, and you were hopeful for alarms.
    You can set alarms on a timepiece and check the Libre every 2 hours. Even without a libre you could set alarms and finger prick every two hours throughout the day. 10 sticks a day 300 a month. (I can get 150 strips a month from my GP and can self fund the other 150 strips for approximately £20 a month.)

Sorry the two hour finger test comment stung, it was not meant to offend.
    It sounds like your GP and his '1 or 2 strips a day' theory for type 1 is not helping. I believe the expected minimum is 5 tests a day for good control.
    Good luck with the libre.

12. leonS

leonS Well-Known Member

Type 1
    You did not offend, but I don't like the idea of so many finger pricks. One drop of blood twelve times a day: that is nearly an arm full in a month. And my poor fingers,and the lack of sleep... NICE say a minimum of four tests a day, told GP that but he had to ask the nurse, then nothing happened 'till I got really cross.

I am going to be libre-fe-cated soon, but no definite date yet. I may have to go on the course that should be offered within a year of diagnosis - it will only be 45 years late.

When I get this sorted out (if) I will have no hair left. I found wear OS on google, and though (possibly incorrectly) that I might be able to download it to my desktop and then blue-tooth it to the watch.

Google insists that I have an account, which appears to be just an e-mail account. I fill in all details. Then Google demands that I give a mobile phone number, the very thing that I don't have. The help says that you don't have to own the phone, so what are they attempting to prove (they claim to be checking that I am who I say that I am) All that shows is that I know someone who will let me use his phone. Another handful of hair torn out! AND some very rude words - good job that I live alone.

13. Bruce Stephens

Bruce Stephens Well-Known Member

Type 1
    The watch will come with wearOS installed (though it'll likely want to update it). But I think you really need a phone to connect with it; wearOS isn't really a standalone thing. (Maybe a Chromebook which can run Android apps would also work, but then I'd worry that you might need to carry that around in order to see your Libre which would be less than convenient.)

The phone number for a gmail account is likely so they have some way for you to recover your account should you forget the password.