Libre Users in Derbyshire

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr Happymoose

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 3c
Hi folks, just wondering if there are any Libre users in Derbyshire? If so, do you mind me asking if you managed to get it on prescription, and if so, how easy was that?

Just trying to get a bit prepared before my first diabetic nurse appointment next week.

I do not live in Derbyshire so can't provide a precise response.
However, I see from other threads that you expect that you are Type 3c. The type of diabetes and "how you are treated" makes a difference with CGMs because people with Type 1 are recommended to have Libre or Dexcom One according to the NICE guidelines whereas those with type 2 are less likely to get them, especially if not treated with insulin.
@Proud to be erratic maybe able to provide some more insight on this as he has Type 3c with a CGM (although I have no idea where he is in the UK).

Thanks @helli. I'm having a conversation with @Proud to be erratic at the moment and they've been giving me some great info. I've been asking in the Whipple group I'm in on FB as well and it seems that as the damage to my pancreas is from surgery, there shouldn't be too much issue with getting a Libre on repeat prescription.

I got Libre 2 almost exactly 1 yr after my discharge from Hospital in Feb '20, who had discharged me with a diagnosis of T1. At that time I lived in Bucks and was under Oxford post Surgery and for subsequent Oncology. Libre 2 was less easy to get then.

I think today that there is much more understanding that insulin dependent T3cs not only need CGM, but should be treated as if T1 and get it on prescription without further quibbling. However, I think @Mr Happymoose you first need to get clarification of what treatment is being proposed for your T3c: insulin or oral meds.

Also, @Mr Happymoose the NICE Guidance Note, NG17, was updated in spring '22 with a considerable emphasis in that update on improving the provision of CGM. The update even included providing GPs with the discretion to write the prescription, using their own medical judgement. You might find it useful to have a copy of NG17 on your phone or a tablet/pad and use your awareness of its existence to "ease" the conversation about entitlements to sit in your favour.

Some GPs have seized the opportunity to use their judgement; some have been constrained by the former Cost Centre Groups (CCGs) which used to be the guardians of GP prescribing budget allocations. Just to add to this complication CCGs were disbanded on 1 June 22 and replaced by much larger regional Integrated Care Boards (ICBs). In my case my new ICB embraces Bucks, Oxfordshire and Bucks (West) (BOB); so it is the BOB ICB, which has hoovered up the 3 CCGs for where I used to live, (Bucks); where my Pancreatic Surgery was, Oncology still is and where I get my Diabetes support (Oxon); and where I now live (Berks W). As far as I can tell of the proposed savings from having a much larger regional BOB ICB replacing many smaller CGGs have not included manpower savings! But delays and procrastination resulted in prescription budget allocations getting temporarily frozen, while ICBs reviewed all the decisions for new bigger cost items. Bureaucracy works in mysterious ways. However the initiative to make sure that T1s get CGM seems very successful overall and the Diabetes Champion Dr Partha Kar deserves huge credit for his part in this.

There is an ICB for Derby and Derbyshire, with an Integrated Care Strategy (ICS) for implementation during 2023-2028. My brief Internet trawl didn't allow me to identify which Hospital in Derbyshire was the Cente of Excellence for Diabetes or Endocrinology.

Of course, NG17 is directed at insulin dependent individuals and thus predominantly T1s. NG 28 is for T2s, but doesn't make prescribing CGM for T2s much better than it previously was; however I doubt many Consultants diagnosing someone as T3c would stop short of recommending an insulin dependent T3c has CGM.

I’m in Derbyshire technically but we fall under Tameside for NHS and high peak for the local council (bins etc) as soon as we moved fron Warrington to hear my GP surgery put me on libre. I had been begging in Warrington.
Not sure about the Derbyshire trust but nice guidelines are a great idea as others have said.
Good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back