Libre Trial

Status
Not open for further replies.

Uller

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1.5 LADA
Hello folks,

At my last review I asked about the availability of the Libre, there was some oh’s and erm’s because I!m LADA, but they finally gave in because I argued I’m still insulin dependant.

So come next Monday (13th), I’m going along to Hairmyres in East Kilbride to get my new Libre kit! Apparently we don’t get any fitting advice, you seem to get your kit, a letter for your doctor to add 26 sensors to your prescription for a year, and a hearty ‘Good Luck!’

I’ve been following various threads about Libre issues, but does anyone have any pitfalls to avoid or tricks that make things easier?

And is anyone else from on the boards going to be going?

Cheers,

David.

Well done on your successful fight for the Libre I hope you find it as helpful as I have , all the additional info has been a game changer for me .
The application is easy just follow the instruction leaflet. If you apply the it more round the back of your arm it lessens the risk of knocking it off in door jams.
Don’t shower for I think its two hours after applying sensor as it can weaken the glue
Use both alcohol wipes they are more for removing oil to aid adhesion than for infection control .
If you feel the need to cover the sensor with tape, ensure you do not cover the hole, it’s there keep your skin dry and healthy .
Some of us apply the sensor a day before activating them as we find they are nearer results to a finger prick right from the start, others start them straight away.
Hope you find that helpful.

Hello folks,

At my last review I asked about the availability of the Libre, there was some oh’s and erm’s because I!m LADA, but they finally gave in because I argued I’m still insulin dependant.

So come next Monday (13th), I’m going along to Hairmyres in East Kilbride to get my new Libre kit! Apparently we don’t get any fitting advice, you seem to get your kit, a letter for your doctor to add 26 sensors to your prescription for a year, and a hearty ‘Good Luck!’

I’ve been following various threads about Libre issues, but does anyone have any pitfalls to avoid or tricks that make things easier?

And is anyone else from on the boards going to be going?

Cheers,

David.
Well done for your good result

There’s a very helpful course in online videos you can use to get you started.

You don’t have to sign up (unless you want to join in with the last event). You can just watch all the videos that have launched so far here:

https://abcd.care/dtn/education

Can't add to the advice given by @Ljc 🙂 I also used to wait 24 hours before activating, although haven't used one for a while now. I'm going to broach the subject at my review in June 🙂

I hope they work well for you! 🙂 One warning - once you get used to them it's very hard to do without them! 😱

Well done David. The info is brill off them 😎 Really Good Luck

Good luck David, my only advise is, no borrowing Lesley’s bras. The straps are the Libra’s nemesis! :D

The good thing is they have changed the sticky stuff. Just got the new version, and not a trace of itchiness. Just as sticky though.

One good tip is don’t put a new sensor on and have a shower straight away, the adhesive takes a while to set. Have the shower first. And as Eggy says, wear a strapless bra.:D

Hi folks, joy at last..I have just got back from my clinic and have been Kitted out with a Libre sensor and a reader. They are going to write to me GP to prescribe Libre to me! Accuracy seems a bit iffy at the moment, but I am hoping it will settle down tomorrow. I have been doing 8-10 finger prick test for years, so my fingers will get a well earned rest. According to the NHS England website only 20% of type 1s are going to get the Libre so, looks like my luck has turned at last.

Hi folks, joy at last..I have just got back from my clinic and have been Kitted out with a Libre sensor and a reader. They are going to write to me GP to prescribe Libre to me! Accuracy seems a bit iffy at the moment, but I am hoping it will settle down tomorrow. I have been doing 8-10 finger prick test for years, so my fingers will get a well earned rest. According to the NHS England website only 20% of type 1s are going to get the Libre so, looks like my luck has turned at last.

Great to hear you have been given access - 8x a day is one of the national criteria for Libre.

First 24 hours can be a little further away from fingersticks, and some sensors track better than others in my experience. Of course they are measuring two different things, so you can’t expect them to be the same all the time, and there will be a bit of a lag between the two results.

For the vast majority of time I get very useful and reliable information from the ones I wear (currently self funding).

Hope you get on well with them!

Big day tomorrow and a quick question....

As I have been ’blessed’ with a bit of ‘hirsuteness’ on my upper arm, would it be advisable to shave the area I apply the sensor to before application, or how sticky is it for taking off again at the end of the fourteen days?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back