Libre touch screen problems?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DonH

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Having been type 1 since 1947 and with all the changes over the years I was really pleased to be provided with a Freestyle Libre, this in turn was updated to the Libre 2. I am pleased overall with this device and would not want to be without it. That said I find that it exaggerates both high and low end readings which I then need to check with a test strip before taking remedial action. I have also found repeated problems with the touch screen where it “freezes” meaning I have to switch off and on again plus when selecting review history giving alarms instead. I often have to tap the screen forcibly to activate it. Although being sen several replacements it continues. I do wonder if being close to my t:slim insulin pump is in some way affecting it. Has anyone else experienced this problem?

Hi and welcome to the forum.

It is well known that Libre tends to read lower than fingerprick at low levels and higher when above range and Abbott advice is to double check your levels in those situations before taking action, so I definitely wouldn't blame your t-slim for that quirk of the system. As regards the reader, my touch screen can be a little temperamental at times after 2 and a bit years of heavy use and it has hit the deck a few times too, but mostly still works well. I believe Abbott are phasing out the reader and have started supplying a simless mobile phone with the Libreview app installed for use with their sensors for those who don't have an appropriate phone. Personally I think this is a shame as I really like the small size and easy scanning of the reader...phones are more challenging to pick up the sensor signal apparently and you have to be quite precise when you scan. I would have preferred the reader to be upgraded, but I know a lot of people prefer to have everything on their phone so that they only need to carry one device. Anyway, I really can't offer any suggestion as to why you are having repeated difficulties with the readers you have had. I am still using the original Libre and reader so I perhaps there is a history of issues with the Libre 2 reader and maybe that is why they are phasing them out.

This is quite an old thread so it may be worth starting a new thread titled Libre 2 reader problems to see if you get more replies to your specific problem that way.

Having been type 1 since 1947 and with all the changes over the years I was really pleased to be provided with a Freestyle Libre, this in turn was updated to the Libre 2. I am pleased overall with this device and would not want to be without it. That said I find that it exaggerates both high and low end readings which I then need to check with a test strip before taking remedial action. I have also found repeated problems with the touch screen where it “freezes” meaning I have to switch off and on again plus when selecting review history giving alarms instead. I often have to tap the screen forcibly to activate it. Although being sen several replacements it continues. I do wonder if being close to my t:slim insulin pump is in some way affecting it. Has anyone else experienced this problem?

Long time since used reader if that's what your referring to, if so switch to phone app as rarely get frozen screen.

It's strange what you say about libre being out at high & bg levels, since changing to libre 2 find its relatively accurate on both.

Welcome to the forum @DonH

I’ve taken the liberty of splitting your new post away from a lengthy old thread so that you get more focussed replies.

I found the Libre reader would occasionally not respond quickly, but to be honest I’ve had that with iphones and pretty much all touch screen devices too from time to time.

I’ve no idea why that is, so I generally use the IT classic of turning it off and on again :D

Sometimes I find licking a finger (or rubbing it on clothing) seems to help. Though this may be just in my mind.

Alternatively swiping the screen in another location. I’m not sure how many active areas the Libre reader has to sense touch, but I get the impression it isn’t the whole screen area?

I do find the Reader has a wider catch for scanning than the NFC sensor on my iPhone though, which sometimes takes a couple of careful swipes to get the reading. The reader seems more able to grab a reading from a greater distance and through more layers of clothing.

Alternatively swiping the screen in another location. I’m not sure how many active areas the Libre reader has to sense touch, but I get the impression it isn’t the whole screen area?
If you go to 'system status' in settings, and pick 'Reader test' it takes you through a series of checks to make sure the reader is working, the last of which is a grid, and you touch each part of the screen to see if a number lights up. I had my last reader replaced under the guarantee because several of the squares had stopped responding.

I also find that it needs accurate finger pressing. I often try to click the settings cog and get History instead. I find aiming my fingertip right into the corner helps. It’s not the most responsive of touch screens, but as I don’t have a compatible phone I have no choice. Apart from the odd moments, I’ve found it ok.

If you go to 'system status' in settings, and pick 'Reader test' it takes you through a series of checks to make sure the reader is working, the last of which is a grid, and you touch each part of the screen to see if a number lights up. I had my last reader replaced under the guarantee because several of the squares had stopped responding.
Top tip! Thanks @Robin

Hi, initially I used just my android phone and this year I have been using my reader as my primary and my phone in the background. There's lots of great advice already.

I reverted to my reader as my primary device because it is so much more convenient for size, speed of scanning and general speed of responsiveness - in comparison with my phone. Particularly when out walking or gardening; but even just when in a rare relaxed mode. However, I do sometimes find my screen freezes and I have no obvious electronics nearby, certainly no pump; naturally it always does this at the most inconvenient moment! I think one's finger temperature is a factor in screen responsiveness and my fingers are invariably cold.
It is well known that Libre tends to read lower than fingerprick at low levels and higher when above range and Abbott advice is to double check your levels in those situations before taking action, so I definitely wouldn't blame your t-slim for that quirk of the system.
One observation about the above comment:
I have over 50% failure rate with sensors over the last 20 months and have concluded my body doesn't like Libre; fortunately Abbott have replaced all those failed sensors. BUT I don't find a pattern of always reading below when FP is low or always higher when FP is high.

In steady state, ie horizontal trend arrows, I've had sensors consistently higher than FP at both ends of the range (but the gap is usually greater when hyper) and less frequently had sensors consistently lower than FP (again with variability depending on my actual BG). Generally my sensors read high. I've also had sensors that start high and drift to being lower than FP; this is pretty inconvenient, but I do at least get 24 hrs when the sensor matches FP!! I've also had several sensors just end prematurely; never had one fall off and not, so far, knocked one against a door frame

Last night my sensor was displaying well below 3.9 for all the small hours (shows this on both my reader and phone) but FPs confirmed I was OK (just), in the low 4s; yet this morning my sensor is reading 2+ units higher than FP. I wasn't lying on it while asleep, which can cause a compression low and false readings. This is unworkable and I'm about to ask Abbott for a replacement; I need to make a longish return journey later today and I'm going to have to depend on FP for that regardless of what the sensor might be telling me. This isn't the end of the world, but does mean (in my terms) that my sensor is no longer fit for purpose.

Thanks to changes earlier this year in the NICE Guidelines for CGM for T1s, there now are alternatives. My Endo has recommended a change for me to Dexcom One which I'm shortly hoping to try; just got to get my GP and the CCG on-side, hopefully for my prescription to also include a Dexcom reader since my current (new) android phone isn't compatible. So that is work in progress, but recently there haven't been enough hours in the day (we're moving and that is keeping me fully occupied).

Anyway just to confirm the D rule that we are all different, little is consistent and much is confusing! But still manageable and the tech certainly is a great help. May I ask how long have you been pumping? Sounds as though your pump precedes any sensors.

You learn something new each day... :D Thanks for that Robin

Am I the only one who reads instruction manuals? 😉:rofl:
Probably! 🙄 Will award you a gold star for doing so though!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back