Libre sensors and airport scanners

Status
Not open for further replies.

Whittsend

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
What's the general consensus on going through an airport security scanner while wearing a Libre sensor? I've heard of folks going through as 'normal' passengers do with no adverse effects on the scanner, and others where the scanning process has cooked the electronics.
I've contacted Libre direct and received a bit of a confusing reply (similar to a previous PM's "Go to work, but don't go to work" advice :confused:).
I've been on a couple of journeys (airport & seaport) since using the Libre system and asked security for a physical check which has not been an issue (staff very polite and understanding) but it just slows the whole checking process. Mrs Whittsend is through in no time at all, and it would be nice just to be a bit more 'normal'. Needles etc go through the conveyor belt scanning no problem; it's the sensor (& the spare I carry) that's the issue. Thanks.

I’m been through both an archway and a full body scanner with mine, on maybe a dozen occasions, and it's always been fine. Spare sensor has always gone through with rest of hand luggage. When I first started, I didn’t know it was a potential problem, so just carried on, and now I've never had an issue, I’ve just carried on.

Like @Robin I have taken Libre sensors through airport security many times and never had an issue.
I never bother telling the security staff about them and they don't seem to notice them.
Like you, want to be normal (and I don't like to share personal health information with a stranger). With a Libre, I can be normal in an airport.

Same here, been through both types of body scanners, spare sensors go through xray still in hand luggage. Never had any issues with either security staff or operation of sensors!

Travelled through Holyhead port last week, they had baggage & body scanner staffed by Border Force, told guy was wearing both pump & libre sensor so was waved by scanner for body search, they were great & friendly & I've had same experiences in airports when flying.

Travelled through Holyhead port last week, they had baggage & body scanner staffed by Border Force, told guy was wearing both pump & libre sensor so was waved by scanner for body search, they were great & friendly & I've had same experiences in airports when flying.
Thanks. I've previously alerted security staff and been body searched and not had an issue. The thing I was wondering is if the walk-through scanners affect the sensor - apparently not judging by the earlier comments.

Many thanks to earlier respondents for your comments. It's reassuring to think I can be a 'normal' passenger (though family may question that description! :rofl:)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back