Libre sensor stops reading properly after encountering a low - every time!

Status
Not open for further replies.

donoketty

Relationship to Diabetes
Parent
Hello all, long time reader, first time poster etc.

Son Aged 12 has T1 and has been on Libre for about a year, generally good, some duff sensors but then just as many that last the full 14 days. We use it with MiaoMiao for CGM and it has revolutionised his care, including less sleepless nights.

But of late we have had bad luck run of sensors that exhibit a common fault - they work fine, as accurate as expected, UNTIL they encounter their first Low. Then they get stuck Low.

Example - sensor applied on Saturday, activated Sunday, readings all spot on for the first 36 hours until he had a low, 3.6. Since then, all readings are just reporting "Lo" or "Low" or "2.2". Blood test this morning, for example, 8.5 - Libre reading Lo. We know from experience that the sensor won't recover, so we are getting through them quicker than the GP will prescribe them.

This is literally the third sensor in a row that has done this - they activate fine, they read fine, he has a low and BANG - breaks! Has anyone else experienced this and have any ideas?

Thx
Don.

We know from experience that the sensor won't recover, so we are getting through them quicker than the GP will prescribe them.
Are you reporting the failing sensors to Abbott? Who generally will replace them if they are faulty as you are limited to how many you are entitled to per year on prescription

I can't say its a problem I've personally encountered or seen others reporting so I wouldn't say it was a very common issue
xx

Are you reporting the failing sensors to Abbott? Who generally will replace them if they are faulty as you are limited to how many you are entitled to per year on prescription

I can't say its a problem I've personally encountered or seen others reporting so I wouldn't say it was a very common issue
xx

I have reported a couple historically, but since lockdown it takes an eternity to get hold of someone, then they want to check all his historic readings, blood test vs libre reading - last time I reported one it took 45 minutes on the phone, and at the end they refused to send a replacement - I feel that I am being doubted!

That said, I have just called them about the last two - two sensors on their way to me, which is great - took 20 mins but worth the time. They couldn't think of a reason why this would happen however!

Last edited:
Are the low "real lows" or "compression lows"?
A false low reading (compression low) is not uncommon if you apply pressure to the sensor (e.g lying on the sensor when asleep). I was just wondering if applying the pressure which cause the low reading also damaged the sensor? It is just a theory.

As for support from Abbott during the pandemic, I have had to call them a few times and they have been as great as always. I think there is some variation between the support staff. I have noticed part oft eh automated recording at the start mentions they have some staff overseas (outside the EU). They may have been new when you last called. But I encourage you not to put off calling them based on one or two bad experiences. I don't know whether you fun the Libre or whether you son gets them on NHS but there is no reason why you or the tax payer should fund damaged goods.

Some people have reported sensors reading lower and lower and eventually getting stuck on LO. I think they just gave up on Libre. Odd that Abbott doesn't seem that interested in investigating what's going wrong.

I've only called in 2 since the pandemic hit and can't say I had an issue, the first call was answered in America and the 2nd I had some trouble understanding as they had a strong accent but their CS hadn't changed for me since before all this kicked off

They only require 3 comparison readings which I don't find that historic, they are only doing what's on the screen in front of them to troubleshoot and come to a decision etc

Great news that you've had 2 replaced, it could just simply be a coincidence that it happens when he has a hypo, the filament may have bent due to even just the way he's moved his arm

Fingers crossed your luck picks up soon
xx

Sorry to hear you are having problems with Libre

I‘m not sure how you are securing MiaoMiao, but make sure that isn’t the source of possible compression.

Also ensure hydration is kept up so that the flow of interstitial fluid is maintained

(you are probably doing all this already!)

The only other think I can think of is the insertion. Are you using back of the arm?

Are all these sensors out of the same lot number?

Must be very annoying when you can see a pattern of sensor misbehaviour - but it doesn’t seem to be a common thing, so I am wondering why it is repeatedly happening to you but not other users.

Hope you find a fix for it. But do keep reporting them to Abbott - it’s important for their Quality Control, and important that the NHS gets full value for the sensors it is buying.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back