Libre sensor not working

Mbabazi

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1.5 LADA
Hi everyone

I hope you're all enjoying some part of the summer. I just wanted to share my experience and a mistake I made that others may want to avoid.

I'm travelling for the summer and made the mistake of checking my libre sensors through the security checks at the airport. I only found out I wasn't supposed to do this as it messes with the sensor. Initially my new sensor worked fine but today, 8 days in it failed. It simply would not scam and after a number of attempts the app notified me that it wasn't working and that I should scan a new sensor. I'm do upset at myself. I'm going to put on a new one but that just throws off my plans for how many sensors I planned for and requested before leaving the UK. I'm hoping the next one will work for more than 8 days, crossing my fingers for 14.

Anyway guys. Never let your sensors go through the security checks. If anyone knows any tricks I could do to make it come alive. Please help.

Are you sure it’s not just coincidence? I know Abbott say don’t, (because they haven’t actually tested them ) but some sensors do fail for all sorts of unknown reasons. I’ve taken sensors through airport security lots of times,(both the one I'm wearing through a full body scanner, and the spare one through the hand luggage x-ray) and never had a problem with them afterwards.

It has not occurred to me that it could be a coincidence. I did not do anything different and have never had a sensor fail. Is there some way to complain or get it fixed because losing a week of it would be unfair otherwise. What kind of info would they need anyway, I already threw away the box in which this one came

Yes, you can complete the form on their website to report a failure
You need the batch number of the sensor which you can find on the app.
They usually replace faulty sensors. Some times they will ask for it to be returned sonir is recommended to keep your dodgy sensor until you hear back from Abbott.
If you get sensors on prescription, it is equally important to report failures.
It is not possible to resurrect a failed sensor. Once dead, always dead
It is recommended to take at least as much of everything than you think you will need when you go away. This includes sensors as well as insulin, test strips, etc.

As Robin suggests, this sounds like coincidence that it failed after your flight. I have taken Libre through many airport security scanners, both ony a and on the belt. I have not had any problems.

Yes, you can complete the form on their website to report a failure
You need the batch number of the sensor which you can find on the app.
They usually replace faulty sensors. Some times they will ask for it to be returned sonir is recommended to keep your dodgy sensor until you hear back from Abbott.
If you get sensors on prescription, it is equally important to report failures.
It is not possible to resurrect a failed sensor. Once dead, always dead
It is recommended to take at least as much of everything than you think you will need when you go away. This includes sensors as well as insulin, test strips, etc.

As Robin suggests, this sounds like coincidence that it failed after your flight. I have taken Libre through many airport security scanners, both ony a and on the belt. I have not had any problems.
This is so helpful, Thank you. I will definitely report a failure. I am not sure how I would get the batch number when the app is off and wont show my date. It now shows me that image asking me to load a new sensor. Will I be able to get the old sensor number once I load the new one and can see my data?

You can get the number from the last 3 sensors used by your app.
I used an Android phone.
I click on the "burger menu" (three horizontal lines) at the top left of the screen.
Select "About"
This shows the software version number and last 3 sensors.
It is available at all times - I am not using a Libre at the moment so the app starts up with the picture asking me to scan a new sensor.

It is some time since 8 reported a faulty sensor but you may be asked for the last error message.
The Error Log is available under the Help menu.

I believe the serial number of the sensor is also printed around the rim of the sensor.... but you need really good eyesight to see it 🙄
If Abbott want it returning they will send you a return "biohazard" package envelope for it along with your replacement. I think the difficulty may be in them delivering the replacement if you are away abroad. Replacements usually arrive in 2-3 days after reporting failures. Not sure if you have a neighbour who can accept it for you.

I think the difficulty may be in them delivering the replacement if you are away abroad. Replacements usually arrive in 2-3 days after reporting failures. Not sure if you have a neighbour who can accept it for you.
Firstly, I think the replacements are taking longer than a couple of days to arrive.
Secondly, they come in an envelope that fits through the letterbox so there is no need for a neighbour to accept it.

Firstly, I think the replacements are taking longer than a couple of days to arrive.
Secondly, they come in an envelope that fits through the letterbox so there is no need for a neighbour to accept it.

My prescribed Libre boxes don't fit through my letter box let alone replacements that have always been sent by Abbott in a larger box with packing to protect it. The box is usually about 6"x 5"x 5" if I remember rightly and includes the return packaging for the failed sensor, so no way would that fit through a letter box.
I also believe that Abbott have improved the speed of replacement but even 4-5 days or longer is probably not going to be helpful if the OP is abroad for a long period.

No they don’t, they come in a sizeable box which is larger than any letterbox and would only fit if you have a parcel box

thanks, everyone for the advice. I started my new sensor and that seems to work fine so I am hoping I was wrong about the airport scanner. I am back home in a few weeks so best to report the fault then so I can receive my replacement at home. I have taken a screen shot of the serial number.

thanks, everyone for the advice. I started my new sensor and that seems to work fine so I am hoping I was wrong about the airport scanner. I am back home in a few weeks so best to report the fault then so I can receive my replacement at home. I have taken a screen shot of the serial number.
Also note down the date of the failure and how many days were left to go, as those questions are on the form too

Back