Libre sensor & contact sport

Status
Not open for further replies.

Robertpetch

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Hello,
I’m type 1 diabetic using freestyle libre sensors, I train in jiu jitsu but have not had much success in keeping my sensors on has anyone got experience in training in contact sports and could provide some practical advise, I know there is lots out there but want to know what actually works well and has been tried and tested before wasting my money.

Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

Harry

Hello,
I’m type 1 diabetic using freestyle libre sensors, I train in jiu jitsu but have not had much success in keeping my sensors on has anyone got experience in training in contact sports and could provide some practical advise, I know there is lots out there but want to know what actually works well and has been tried and tested before wasting my money.

Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

Harry
I don’t have personal experience, but you could start with this thread here.
@PhoebeC might have some more up to date suggestions, but at the time, the two front runners seemed to be vet wrap, or placing the sensor somewhere else on a less vulnerable part of the body. (not authorised by Abbott, so they probably wouldn’t replace a sensor that fell off of you confessed it wasn’t on your arm).

Have you tried a cover for it? I buy a pack from Amazon think it’s around £10/15 I buy the 37 pack and I find they help to make the sensors less vulnerable to being knocked off. They’re just clear waterproof stickers but they do stay in for the whole 2 weeks without much of an issue.
I train mainly in cardio/weights but even with a bump/contact sports I find they stay on. I automatically put a cover on now when new sensor day comes

73027871-36FD-42F8-B188-3EC7BFAD780E.jpeg

Must be quite a challenge @Robertpetch !

I was wondering about location too, but as @Robin says, you would have to be cautious about the results you got as Libre was designed and tested only on the back of the upper arm, so may not perform as expected elsewhere.

The same can also be true for putting things over the sensor - especially if they provide downward pressure (eg to help keep the sensor in place!) You can end up with effectively a permanent ‘compression low’ where the flow of interstitial fluid around the filament is impeded by the pressure, which can lead to false and artifically low readings in the same way that you can get ‘hypo’ crashes overnight if you happen to sleep on the sensor for a while.

Hope you find a solution that works for you, but which also allows the Libre to keep giving you a decent feed of data 🙂

I’ve been using vet wrap and it seems to work okay. Not lost a sensor yet.
Might get some of the patches for when it is muddy and wet though, I think they will work better.
Need to order my vet wrap, first game 25th

I’ve been using vet wrap and it seems to work okay. Not lost a sensor yet.
Might get some of the patches for when it is muddy and wet though, I think they will work better.
Need to order my vet wrap, first game 25th
Personally I think the patches work a treat, there’s not sticking in the middle we’re the sensor is. I’ve never had any issues with any compression lows with them. I’ve played full contact rugby and not lost one yet. Easy enough to change if they start to look a bit minging too. (Keeping in mind to change it carefully just incase the adhesive bit does end up on the sensor).
All the best for your game on the 25th!!!

Personally I think the patches work a treat, there’s not sticking in the middle we’re the sensor is. I’ve never had any issues with any compression lows with them. I’ve played full contact rugby and not lost one yet. Easy enough to change if they start to look a bit minging too. (Keeping in mind to change it carefully just incase the adhesive bit does end up on the sensor).
Thanks @Daisycoo

Yeah I’ve not lost one yet either through rugby, most likely cause is hitting the door frame

Thank you.

My only issue with those patches, is either the reviews are great or people have skin reactions. I have sensitive skin anyway, and only cover my sensor for games, so I might get some for later in the season when it is wetter but I think vet wrap is best for me now.

Played a very muddy game at Trafford last to help another team with numbers and the sensor stuck fine with the vet wrap, and was clean despite us being covered :rofl:

Thank you.

My only issue with those patches, is either the reviews are great or people have skin reactions. I have sensitive skin anyway, and only cover my sensor for games, so I might get some for later in the season when it is wetter but I think vet wrap is best for me now.

Played a very muddy game at Trafford last to help another team with numbers and the sensor stuck fine with the vet wrap, and was clean despite us being covered :rofl:
Yeah I have a few skin issues too but found these don’t irritate me. Suppose that’s personal to everyone though.

Yeah I have a few skin issues too but found these don’t irritate me. Suppose that’s personal to everyone though.
Yeah I might buy a few and try them out, before going for 47 ha!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back