Libre recycle or throw away...

Status
Not open for further replies.

curlygirl

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
When I changed libre sensor this morning I put the inserter in the sharps, the sticky lid and plastic part that has sensor inside in to the bin and cap off the inserter in recycling as well as the box etc. This is what I usually do but just wondered if that is correct. Does anyone know or do different? Not sure I was ever told what to add to recycling etc...

When I used Libre, sadly, I was only be able to recycle the lid.
I did not fill my sharps box with plastic. As the needle is fully retracted, I was told it was safe to put it in the general waste. In my mind, it is more costly to dispose of sharps bins and hate mindlessly spending money.
It is disappointing that the Libre and Dexcom applicators are so large. The applicator for my (Medtrum) CGM is much much smaller.

I would check with your local council about recycling the cap. I asked this question of mine about most of my consumables a while back and they don’t like small items as they fall through the gaps of the machines, so I make big stacks of the PET plastic packaging my pump consumables come in. I hadn’t thought of recycling the lids but will now ask the question.

Only the box that is recyclable here. Everything else goes in general waste

Only just started using Libre. Shocked by the waste that the packaging presents. Would love to be able to recycle most of it, but have been told to put the grey attacher (c/w the needle) into my sharps box. I would need to cut the top off the sharps box and then only fit 3 of these in! I am also told that all the other parts must go into general waste. Crazy!

Only just started using Libre. Shocked by the waste that the packaging presents. Would love to be able to recycle most of it, but have been told to put the grey attacher (c/w the needle) into my sharps box. I would need to cut the top off the sharps box and then only fit 3 of these in! I am also told that all the other parts must go into general waste. Crazy!
Some of us disassemble the applicator, using a screwdriver and long nose pliers to lever the white plastic inner piece out. Behind that is the metal spring so do be careful that doesn't fly out and then you can remove the needle from the bottom of the applicator with a pair of pliers and place in your sharps box. The spring, being metal can I assume be recycled and the plastic may be able to be recycled with hard plastics. I wait until I have quite a few and then do the disassembling in a session, removing the needles, sort it into individual materials and store to go to the tip. Apart from the cardboard, I am not sure any of the other stuff can go in the general recycling, but i think they may be able to be recycled with the hard plastics at the tip. I am still acquiring enough to make a trip to the tip worthwhile. I haven't decided on a use for the spent sensors yet and if I am going to try to get the button batteries out. There was a thread a while ago suggesting silly uses for them, like making them into earrings or using them as large sequins to make a dress... maybe by spray painting them first

Some of us disassemble the applicator, using a screwdriver and long nose pliers to lever the white plastic inner piece out. Behind that is the metal spring so do be careful that doesn't fly out and then you can remove the needle from the bottom of the applicator with a pair of pliers and place in your sharps box. The spring, being metal can I assume be recycled and the plastic may be able to be recycled with hard plastics. I wait until I have quite a few and then do the disassembling in a session, removing the needles, sort it into individual materials and store to go to the tip. Apart from the cardboard, I am not sure any of the other stuff can go in the general recycling, but i think they may be able to be recycled with the hard plastics at the tip. I am still acquiring enough to make a trip to the tip worthwhile. I haven't decided on a use for the spent sensors yet and if I am going to try to get the button batteries out. There was a thread a while ago suggesting silly uses for them, like making them into earrings or using them as large sequins to make a dress... maybe by spray painting them first
Excellent, that is very helpful

Maybe we could use them to make sort of fly screen for hanging in doorways.... or create a mosaic.... Open to more ideas...

Box & leaflet in recycle bags same with plastic cover, couldn't be bothered to dismantle rest to recycle so it all goes in bin.

I used to recycle the box, and our recycling service was happy to take the translucent cap.

For the rest of the inserter, I’d twist out the white section, save the spring (too good to chuck away!) and fish out the sharp inserter needle for my sharps box, then regrettably landfill the hard plastics.

I do a similar disassembly job on the Dex G6 inserter, but that’s slightly more fiendishly put together 😱

Here we are @rebrascora Replace the bottle tops with Libre sensors, add a lot of spare time and you’re ready to go :D

https://nasvete.com/bottle-cap-fashion/

Hi @Inka and @rebrascora ,
I've taken great inspiration from your replies. I've disassembled the lot now.... Needle is now safely in my sharps bin, the spring is in my garage 'man drawer' awaiting another purpose and all the hard plastic is the plastic recycling bag waiting for the fortnightly kerbside collection!
Further to @Inka 's post I have come up with a similar use for the dome shaped parts.

Attachments

• vlcsnap-2014-08-30-19h36m08s67.png
    vlcsnap-2014-08-30-19h36m08s67.png
    151.8 KB · Views: 7
Hi @Inka and @rebrascora ,
I've taken great inspiration from your replies. I've disassembled the lot now.... Needle is now safely in my sharps bin, the spring is in my garage 'man drawer' awaiting another purpose and all the hard plastic is the plastic recycling bag waiting for the fortnightly kerbside collection!
Further to @Inka 's post I have come up with a similar use for the dome shaped parts.
I have a feeling that idea may have been posted by someone else on the forum a couple of years ago.... but just shows it is a good idea when more than one person comes up with it.
Unfortunately I don't believe the hard plastics can be recycled via the kerbside collection unless your council system is different, but here they need to be taken to the tip and I am not even certain that they can be recycled at all.
Putting the wrong plastics in the recycle bin can compromise the whole recycling process, which is why I am keeping my Libre stuff separate, to be taken to the tip next time I go.

If you find a good use for the springs do let me know as I have developed quite a stash of them now. Wonder if anyone could use them for making sculptures. They are rather shiny and a pleasing shape and I imagine you could bend, twist and interlock them to make interesting forms, if you were in any way artistic, which sadly I am not. My old farrier used to make wonderful ornaments with horseshoe nails and old horse shoes but he is no longer with us so can't pass them on to him.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back