Libre readings

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tom37

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Hi , Libre readings seem to be higher that finger prick by several units lately, glucose high in general and libre estimating ac1 at 9.9% any advice on reducing this number quickly or if I should consider this dangerously high? Can you be showing signs of dka even with a relatively low keytone reading?

Struggling with controlling levels when out of usual daily work routine and putting off travel due to this!

Hi , Libre readings seem to be higher that finger prick by several units lately, glucose high in general and libre estimating ac1 at 9.9% any advice on reducing this number quickly or if I should consider this dangerously high? Can you be showing signs of dka even with a relatively low keytone reading?

Struggling with controlling levels when out of usual daily work routine and putting off travel due to this!
Yup, this has been happening to me lately as well, but I kind of get used to it. I still randomly finger prick even though I have the Libre, and this helps me trend my Libre readings and adjust appropriately. It's almost like I am "calibrating" myself. I'm finding over the last 3 or 4 sensors, that my Libre readings are consistently around 2 points above my blood meter readings, so I take this into account when calculating my insulin.

When I first started noticing this I, like yourself, found it a bit of a challenge to trust my Libre readings, but over time, you do get used to it, and to my knowledge, it's not unusual for there to be a discrepancy being Libre and finger prick readings due to the "lag" in the Libre, due to it measure glucose levels in the interstitial fluid rather than the blood. In fact, as I have got used to this discrepancy, it has actually helped with my blood control, and I find that generally I am in range more often than not.

Hello @Tom37,
I'm far from an expert in D management, so others may correct or adjust my observations.
Hi , Libre readings seem to be higher that finger prick by several units lately, glucose high in general
How much higher? I regularly have Libre sensors that give me 2 or even 3 mmol/L higher than actual - and under steady state, ie with a decent period of a horizontal arrow. My body doesn't seem to be in tune with Libre. This is a nuisance, in that I'm constantly having to mentally adjust and generates a misleading picture on LibreLink on my phone. But I work with it, because I use the trend (ie the arrows) to watch what is going on and no longer get obsessed with the numerical Libre reading.
Also, for me, when I'm in the 4s and 5s my Libre readings are closer to actual, perhaps only 1 mmol/L above. But when I'm above 10 the Libre differential is a lot greater. However, the broad guidance to all Libre users is test by FP whenever you are out of range (4-10), high or low; and your post sounds as though you are already doing that.
and libre estimating ac1 at 9.9%
the Libre estimate of your HbA1c has limited validity. Although it is (presumably) using every single reading the sensor is generating, each minute and extrapolating from that - the HbA1c from your blood test is looking at residual glucose in your blood, looking back over approximately 3 months. So, in my layman's mind, the HbA1c is reflecting how your body is actually managing glucose over a reasonable time span. Now, you can have a theoretical debate whether the HbA1c is more or less appropriate than an algorithm in a CGM taking an average over a certain period of time - but such debate is irrelevant in terms of the guidance we are given for our D management which is against the backdrop of HbA1c results and those are our benchmarks. So I view Libre averages as a possible guide but not the medical reference point.
any advice on reducing this number quickly
My advice would be not quickly, just steadily. Rapid changes can bring other difficulties. You are in a marathon and slow and steady is best.
or if I should consider this dangerously high?
I would not consider that dangerous, just a level that needs reducing.
Perhaps more relevant, is does being constantly a bit high affect how you physically feel? Other than the psychological response of thinking its bad! Some people, as well as recognising by their body's response that they are hypo - experience feeling 'off' in different ways when hyper, even at 9 or 10. I don't seem to have that recognition, until I get above 20; happily for me that is now rare - but it wasn't in my first 9 months!
Can you be showing signs of dka even with a relatively low keytone reading?
I simply don't know about this.
Yes, I struggled with 'control' pretty much for 12 months. BUT, control is the wrong word. I think any longstanding T1 will not claim to have their D under control, but rather managed acceptably. This might sound like semantics, however there are so many factors that can affect your BG it is my understanding that all of us unexpectedly have something periodically come along and play havoc with one's BG. Then it's a matter of seeing if one can identify why (so try to prevent a recurrence) and responding regardless of why.
I only deferred travel in my first 12 months, because the deep hypos were a significant obstruction; also, as bad fortune would have it, I had significant gastro and urology problems after my surgery which affected my confidence about being away from home - a couple of times with good reason! But if high I went out walking, a lot, or in my car if I had something to do. The hypos hindered me, but not the hypers.
What is it that's making you put off travel - unless you are 'roller-coasting' between high and low? I experienced that a lot, until I had Libre, after 12 months, and then used the trend arrows to anticipate 'what next'.

What insulin are you using? Multiple daily injections (MDI) of basal and bolus, or just fixed doses of a mixed insulin?
Are you carb counting?
Have you done a DAFNE course or had any structured training in D management?
Have you been told, or read about the limitations of Libre?

Sorry for the list of questions but a little more info will allow response to be more directed to your difficulties.

Libre is known to be less accurate at higher levels and low levels, so if you are up in the teens and Libre is 2 or 3mmols higher, I would not be overly concerned but if you are 7 or 8 and Libre is 2 or 3 mmols higher then that is less acceptable.

Your levels running higher generally would suggest that your basal insulin dose(s) may no longer be holding you steady. Many of us find that, at this time of year, as the seasons change and it gets cooler and the days get shorter, we need more basal insulin and then in the spring we start to need less, so there can be an element of seasonal adjustment needed to keep levels balanced and in range. If you haven't done so, a basal test.... (skipping a meal each day in rotation to see if your levels are steady in the absence of food and bolus insulin) should indicate if you need to adjust your basal insulin.

Having your basal insulin as close to optimum as you can get, will make a huge difference to your diabetes management and mentally how you feel about your diabetes. I now know that if I have a few frustrating days of needing corrections and fighting higher levels, it indicates for me that I need a basal increase and once I do that, the frustration just melts away and I feel so much happier because I am no longer battling the higher levels and feel like I am more on top of things rather than having to fight with my diabetes.

Not sure if that makes sense, but hopefully some of it will be helpful to you.

Can you be showing signs of dka even with a relatively low keytone reading?

Sorry to hear you are having a tough time keeping your levels in check @Tom37

What symptoms have you been experiencing which are making you worried about DKA?

The signs of DKA include:
  • high blood sugar levels
  • being very thirsty
  • needing to pee more often
  • feeling tired and sleepy
  • confusion
  • blurred vision
  • stomach pain
  • feeling or being sick
  • sweet or fruity-smelling breath (like nail polish remover or pear drop sweets)
  • passing out.

There’s a writeup on DKA here if it helps

If you are concerned it might be worth calling NHS111 or maybe phoning the Diabetes UK Helpline and chatting things through with them. The helpline is open Mon-Fri 9-6 on 0345 123 2399

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back