Libre prescription/funding and sensor placement

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sophie LondonType1

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Hello all,

Type 1 diabetic here for 14 years. I have been funding myself on libre 2 for about a year.
My father and friends have been able to get the sensors on repeat prescription and i have been struggling to sort since funding was approved.
GP says no, hospital says no. I am at my wits end. Desperately want to keep £100 in my bank account each month hahaha
Does anyone have any advice, people to speak to, how you did it? Guidelines I can give to my GP to say they have to give it to me? I live in North London.

Also, i have been putting my sensors on the arms. Arms are getting a bit sore and skin sensitive from all the sticky. Does anyone place sensors on other areas of the body?

Thank you so much to all for your help in advance, onward we go as always, each and everyday!

Best,
Sophie

Welcome to the forum @Sophie LondonType1

Funding for Libre 2 for all type 1s should be granted with no exceptions because of the new guidelines that NICE released earlier in the year - it may just be taking your CCG a bit longer to follow these guidelines

The consultant Partha Kar, who is the National clinical lead on Diabetes has been doing sterling work in reminding authorities about their responsibility to prescribe the Libre to all Type 1s under the revised NICE guidelines. There's a thread concerning another area (Norfolk) that was dragging its heels here
It may be worth getting in touch with him, or with the Diabetes U.K. helpline (number at the top of this page).

Arms are getting a bit sore and skin sensitive from all the sticky.
That's something to worry about (and not at all unusual). People have tried all kinds of things to reduce that, but an easy thing is to try an antihistamine tablet every day. There's also antihistamine sprays and things, I think. Preserving Skin Integrity with Chronic Device Use in Diabetes has a whole lot of suggestions.
Does anyone place sensors on other areas of the body?
People have tried stomach, thighs, and I'm sure other places. I think they mostly work but Libre is only approved on the upper arm (so when something goes wrong they might not replace your sensor if you've put it somewhere else (and if you tell them you did)). Anyway I'd worry that that would just make those areas start to get sore.
GP says no, hospital says no.
They're in the minority (and have been for a while). As others have said, contact Partha Kar who's very keen on getting all areas to follow the guidelines (which say you should receive Libre 2 since you satisfy the criterion of having Type 1 diabetes).

Thank you all so much. I'm sure I saw someone kindly put an email address for Dr Kar here, but now I can't find it. Would anyone be so kind to add it here for me? Thank you for all your help.

I found it!! wish me luck, Saturday morning energy to try and email some people. gosh, should it be this hard really! Type 1 is hard enough honestly. Have a great weekend all 🙂

FWIW I wear the Libre2 on my thigh and it is extraordinarily accurate for me. Plus it has stopped all those compression lows from sleeping on my arms, but do not let Abbot know should you have to ring them for a replacement.

Good luck with getting it on prescription @Sophie LondonType1

I have been using FSL for about 5 years and wear for the last 2 years on my chest with very accurate results which i check about 4 times a wk with finger stick .

FWIW I wear the Libre2 on my thigh and it is extraordinarily accurate for me. Plus it has stopped all those compression lows from sleeping on my arms, but do not let Abbot know should you have to ring them for a replacement.

Good luck with getting it on prescription @Sophie LondonType1
Hi Patti , I was thinking about wearing mine on my thigh but wasn't sure where to put it

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back