Libre - Phone Recommendations

Status
Not open for further replies.

MikeyBikey

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
With my ongoing smartphone saga I was what phones people found worked well with Libre and any they would say avoid! Thanks in advance...

I’m am Apple boy so I’d see what your budget is and pick up the most recent version you can justify spending £££ on. It doesn’t have to be new as there are lots of used or recon ones available.
If you need help tracking any down then just hola.

I’m am Apple boy so I’d see what your budget is and pick up the most recent version you can justify spending £££ on. It doesn’t have to be new as there are lots of used or recon ones available.
If you need help tracking any down then just hola.

Do they take a standard SIM as I seem tied to this SIM only contract I did not agree but seems difficult to prove it was a dodgy dealer at work!

I would make yourself a list of requirements which includes features you need for Libre but other things that are important for you. The last time I was looking for a new phone (last year), my criteria was
- Android. I stay away from Apple as they offer no more capability than Android but cost more but I know there are plenty of Apple fans around who like the integration capabilities with iPads and watches which I don't use.
- not too large. I do not have very big hands and want to be able to use my phone one handed.
- latest Android operating system (if they are not on the latest now, there is a chance they will go out of support sooner)
- decent battery life (constant Bluetooth can reduce the battery life)
- NFC - there are a few phones around (e.g. some Xiaomi) which do not have NFC
- Not Chinese - this is because I frequently travel to the USA where they are very suspicious of Huawei, etc. Probably not a concern for most people
- No Bluetooth issues reported in reviews. I mostly read TechRadar reviews. This removed Samsung from my choice because there are more issues reported on Samsung but this may be because they are the most popular phonesin the world. Yes, Samsung has a bigger global market share than Apple.
- Price - I was not after the bottom end phone but also not interesting in spending oodles on features (e.g. camera) that I don't use much.

I ended up getting a Pixel but mostly the same criteria has allowed me to select Honor (budget Huawei) in the past ... that was before I decided to avoid Chinese manufacturers.

Do they take a standard SIM as I seem tied to this SIM only contract I did not agree but seems difficult to prove it was a dodgy dealer at work!
It is possible for your service provider to move your number to an appropriate sized sim. I did this years ago.
The PCB on the actual sim pops out I could change from a mini sim to “nano.” (Whatever they are called. “Sim converter?”)

It is possible for your service provider to move your number to an appropriate sized sim.
I presume the options are just physical SIM and a physical SIM/eSIM. I doubt anyone would be silly enough to offer a contract for particular sized SIMs. (I'm also pretty sure the contract I have didn't offer eSIM at the time, though likely they do now.)

I presume the options are just physical SIM and a physical SIM/eSIM. I doubt anyone would be silly enough to offer a contract for particular sized SIMs. (I'm also pretty sure the contract I have didn't offer eSIM at the time, though likely they do now.)
I was on PAYG. The number was registered online with the service provider. (Allowing for top ups.)
From memory, I phoned the company requesting the number was put to the new sim. Along with consolidating any credit on both numbers. It saved a lot of hassle informing everyone I had a new number.
The reactivation took about an hour? (I also seem to remember having to reboot the phone?)
It must have been with the first smartphone I got. The sim came with the bundle. But the store couldn’t switch numbers?

I think all phones now take nano-SIM cards but they’re easily adapted if a specific phone requires larger sizes.

Mine’s a Huawei - I’ve lost the Libre alarms and haven’t been able to get them back, even after the latest app fixes/upgrades. So avoid Huawei IIWY. (I use a reader).

Why not consider getting a reader. It's really reliable and it won't take the battery down on your phone like the Libre does. You don't get CGM with the reader so you have to scan but you still get the alarms. My reader lasts 5 or 6 days between charges and I scan approx. 30 times a day so it does plenty of work. The big advantage for me is that it is small and neat and easily goes in a pocket.

@tjo Can you clarify which part of this thread or @MikeyBikey's comments here you are referring to because I can't see anything which would cause any offence here.

@MikeyBikey in response to your "hilarious" jokes punching down at the expense of the entire LGBTQIA+ Communities ha ha ha!

The moderators and hosts work hard to try to ensure that the forum is a friendly, open, welcoming, and accessible space for all, and the forum rules explicitly forbid posts which discriminate on the basis of gender or sexuality

Behaviour
  1. Post personal attacks or be aggressive, threatening, abusive or intimidating towards any person.
  2. Abuse or invade another’s privacy, or cause annoyance, inconvenience or unnecessary anxiety.
  3. Post material to harass, upset, embarrass, alarm or annoy any other person.
  4. Act with the intention to cause conflict or division within the community, inclusive of posting inflammatory messages or with intent to provoke emotional responses from others.
  5. Promote discrimination or victimise, harass, degrade or intimidate an individual or group of individuals on the basis of religion, political orientation, gender, sexual orientation, race, ethnicity, age, or disability (inclusive of diabetes type).
  6. Post material that is likely to deceive or falsely mislead any person.
  7. Post content which threatens, promotes, or instigates violence or death to others.
  8. Promote, incite, solicit, or provide information about any illegal activity.
  9. Impersonate any person, or misrepresent your identity or affiliation with any person, group or organization.
  10. Use the forum to damage or obtain unauthorised access to any data, or other information, of any third party.
  11. Be made in breach of any legal duty owed to a third party, such as contractual duty or a duty of confidence (for example if you have signed a disclosure agreement).

I tried to delete the joke but can no longer find it. Has my joke (not jokes as in your post) or the whole thread been deleted? As backgrouind I have suffered 60 odd years of prejudice against diabetes (including being beaten up in school and in one job a director's wife telling absolute lies about diabetes management {it turned out she left a couple of years after qualifying as a nurse over two decades earlier} allowing a bullying attitude). In addition I have suffered jokes and ignorant comments like "You must have been a fat child". This has been slightly worse since my amputation three years ago with at times people talking over me as I am sitting low down - in fact like I am incapable of talking for myself. I was also unsuccessful in getting three jobs as filling them was a "Box" ticking exercise. One person was sacked after three months and the other two left in a couple of years. My slightly off the wall sense of humour is my way of coping!

So kindly remove your irrelevant comment from my thread on Libre technology and I will then delete this one and the joke if it still exists!

Last edited:
Just to highlight to everyone,

Please respect everyone on the forum. I will be locking this thread for the moment.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back