Libre issue reporting

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rob Oldfield

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Re @Josh DUK's post about a new way of reporting Libre issues https://forum.diabetes.org.uk/boards/threads/freestyle-libre-issues.101152/ have to say I'm confused as to how it's going to work.

The biggest problem I've had - and this is only since switching to Libre 2 - is it coming back with the dreaded "Please try again in 10 minutes" error. When I've reported that to Abbott before they have insisted that it only counts as needing a replacement if it errors for more than 2 hours. The new web form doesn't have the option to specify that so it's unclear how that's going to work. If you fill the form in do they then send an email back to say whether a replacement is coming?

There also doesn't look to be - at least on the first page - any space to add narrative about what the problem is. You can choose 'Error message while scanning' but nothing more available.

I'll be interested to hear how this form actually works in practise.

The new web form doesn't have the option to specify that so it's unclear how that's going to work. If you fill the form in do they then send an email back to say whether a replacement is coming?
They do.

(When I did it they sent an email asking me for lots of details (strongly overlapping what I already entered on the web form) which seemed rather annoying. On the other hand they sent me two replacement sensors (and two sets of bags to send the failed sensor). I'm guessing something went wrong somewhere...)

They do.

(When I did it they sent an email asking me for lots of details (strongly overlapping what I already entered on the web form) which seemed rather annoying. On the other hand they sent me two replacement sensors (and two sets of bags to send the failed sensor). I'm guessing something went wrong somewhere...)

So the web form is just the initial step. That kind of makes sense. To be honest, the reliability of the Libre 2s I've found to have improved over the last couple of months (still way too many "Try again in 10 minutes" messages - but more intermittent), so hopefully they've taken some steps to fix issues.

So the web form is just the initial step.
I honestly don't know. I think maybe in some cases it's the first step, but I think it should have been all that's needed for mine (I had an actual message telling me to replace the sensor). But I do wonder how carefully the system was designed: maybe they ask everyone twice for the same information.

It’s not new it’s been around for ages, it just saves a phone call to log the information you would give on the call. You fill it in, they email to say a new sensor is on its way and whether or not you need to return failed one.

Currently, I still phone rather than going on line to report a failure.

However, this all highlights that the NHS have clearly abrogated their responsibility for contract management of Libre 2 procurement. No-one in the NHS or NICE knows what the true failure rate if for Libre 2. Yes, the NHS contract manager could ask Abbott, but the Treasury have a long established and justifiable principle of 'not trusting a contractor to measure their own performance'. Abbott will never reveal detrimental contract information, but might tell the NHS all problems raised were resolved with a replacement sensor.

Elsewhere there is a thread on 'Meter and Test Strip Restriction'. The OP includes extracts from a letter that includes: Your use of back up finger prick blood glucose tests should be infrequent. The FreeStyle Libre 2 flash glucose monitoring system has a very high level of accuracy. You should only need to carry out a finger prick blood glucose test if your glucose readings don’t match your symptoms, a test isn’t needed when glucose levels are low, falling or changing rapidly. One pot of 50 test strips should last for approximately 3 months."

How do they know the FS Libre 2 system has a very high level of accuracy? And the idea that a test isn't needed when glucose readings are low 'beggars belief'. Do the authors of such nonsense have any understanding of how inconvenient it can become when a sensor fails early and the neeed to revert to finger pricking until a new sensor is fitted and bedded in.

I'll supplement my reply to that thread with these thoughts, for completeness.

How do they know the FS Libre 2 system has a very high level of accuracy?
For the quiet majority, Libre is accurate enough and has few failures.

Even with the need to report some failures and to need to do “mental calibration“, for those of us who have been doing 10+ finger pricks per day for years (unlike the newbies who think CGMs should be accurate and normal), it is a huge step forward.

Need to use this form next time as just reported sensor by phone to Abbott, in fairness call handler was quick & only on phone for less than 10mins.

Still find libre 2 very accurate which is great compared to 1 version, more so at low & high bg levels.

Need to use this form next time as just reported sensor by phone to Abbott, in fairness call handler was quick & only on phone for less than 10mins.

Still find libre 2 very accurate which is great compared to 1 version, more so at low & high bg levels.
I tried the form, but got a message saying that to resolve my issue, I had to call the Abbott care line, which I did, and problem resolved, new sensor on its way

Today I knocked my arm on the door frame and it touched the Libre. Not enough to move it but it stopped working. By luck I only had two days left to use. The last time I had an issue I was sent two.I did email them but I guess they wouldn’t re use it. I also find the questions repetitive, so great tip to reuse. Overall I do find their customer service good albeit it is a hassle at times.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back