Libre inaccuracies on 1st and last days?

Status
Not open for further replies.

sg295

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Hi all,

Hope you all have a great nye!

Not sure if this is a thing or not but can libre sensors be less accurate at the beginning and end of their life?

Only when I first apply one, it seems to say I’m having a hypo all night for the first couple of nights at least (sometimes up to 4 nights!) and then settles down. Only at night though, it’s fine during the day.

But now my sensor is due to run out in the next couple of days or so and it’s exaggerating a bit more than it did before. It often reads a little lower than a finger prick anyway but now it’s said I was at 3.6 when I was actually at 4.3 which is quite annoying as it makes you think you’re having a hypo when you’re not.

Does anyone else experience this at all?

Thank you!

Hi all,

Hope you all have a great nye!

Not sure if this is a thing or not but can libre sensors be less accurate at the beginning and end of their life?

Only when I first apply one, it seems to say I’m having a hypo all night for the first couple of nights at least (sometimes up to 4 nights!) and then settles down. Only at night though, it’s fine during the day.

But now my sensor is due to run out in the next couple of days or so and it’s exaggerating a bit more than it did before. It often reads a little lower than a finger prick anyway but now it’s said I was at 3.6 when I was actually at 4.3 which is quite annoying as it makes you think you’re having a hypo when you’re not.

Does anyone else experience this at all?

Thank you!
Yes, it can happen. I normally apply a new sensor 24 hours before I want to activate it, because sometimes they’re fine, but I’ve had a couple that have resolutely read 2.8 for the first 24 hours! I haven’t had a problem at the end of their life, but I know some others have, (and I think for this reason, the Libre in the USA was only approved for 10 day use, and has a 24 hour start up time).

Yes, it can happen. I normally apply a new sensor 24 hours before I want to activate it, because sometimes they’re fine, but I’ve had a couple that have resolutely read 2.8 for the first 24 hours! I haven’t had a problem at the end of their life, but I know some others have, (and I think for this reason, the Libre in the USA was only approved for 10 day use, and has a 24 hour start up time).
Hi, thanks for your message!

That sounds like a good plan, thank you! I will try applying a new one tomorrow then as my current one runs out on Sunday afternoon/evening.

But yes the first 2-4 nights for me it has a constant red line while I’m asleep so I’ve just explained to my team that it’s absolute rubbish so they know to ignore it now haha! It’s very rare I have night hypos tbh so I’m lucky in that sense!

I’m glad to know others experience that too and it’s not just me! I’m pretty hypo sensitive so the fact I felt ok when I got that reading made me think it was inaccurate and prompted me to double check which I’m glad I did as it was wrong! Just meant that I ate lunch slightly earlier than planned to ‘prevent’ it going any lower rather than treating a hypo that wasn’t actually a hypo at all!

Hi, thanks for your message!

That sounds like a good plan, thank you! I will try applying a new one tomorrow then as my current one runs out on Sunday afternoon/evening.

But yes the first 2-4 nights for me it has a constant red line while I’m asleep so I’ve just explained to my team that it’s absolute rubbish so they know to ignore it now haha! It’s very rare I have night hypos tbh so I’m lucky in that sense!

I’m glad to know others experience that too and it’s not just me! I’m pretty hypo sensitive so the fact I felt ok when I got that reading made me think it was inaccurate and prompted me to double check which I’m glad I did as it was wrong! Just meant that I ate lunch slightly earlier than planned to ‘prevent’ it going any lower rather than treating a hypo that wasn’t actually a hypo at all!
If you attach the new one before the old has run out, if you accidentally swipe the new one, your phone or reader will ask you if you want to start the new sensor before the old has run out, and you just tell it NO!

Could the fact its only overnight just be that your possibly lying on it?

As for the 3.6 compared to 4.3 that's little difference, the blood meter could have given those 2 different readings just seconds apart, they aren't 100% accurate and have a tolerated error margin

Could the fact its only overnight just be that your possibly lying on it?

As for the 3.6 compared to 4.3 that's little difference, the blood meter could have given those 2 different readings just seconds apart, they aren't 100% accurate and have a tolerated error margin
Hi,

I guess it could be potentially, just seems strange it only seems to do it for the first few nights and then it stops though?

But I think I am guilty of lying on it in my sleep so definitely a possibility!

I guess they’re not hugely different no, that’s true, I know even metres can be slightly different from one another.

If you attach the new one before the old has run out, if you accidentally swipe the new one, your phone or reader will ask you if you want to start the new sensor before the old has run out, and you just tell it NO!
That’s great, thank you!

I think with the inaccuracy at the beginning of the first few days of the libre is your body getting used to having an alien object connected to you. With the lows over night it could be a compression low where you sleep on your arm

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back