Libre in schools (for teachers)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sword.dancer

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Hi. I am just looking for some background information, as official as possible, on how others may have handled technology and acceptable use policies in schools (or other work places) which state that mobile devices should be switched off and kept out of sight during lessons and personal devices with blue tooth cannot be used in schools. This impacts me both in terms of my diabetes and my hearing aids which are blue tooth enabled as well. I am aware that I have a libre meter, but my preference is to use the phone app because I always have my phone with me and it is one less device to carry. I have found that I am unable to swap between the two devices (so using my phone elsewhere but the libre device in school). Is there any legislation which covers me that anyone is aware of?

Welcome @Sword.dancer 🙂 Type 1 diabetes is covered by the discrimination legislation and employers need to make reasonable adjustments. As you’ve mentioned your hearing aids as well then it seems like you need advice. Could you give Diabetes U.K. a call (number at the top of this page)? We’ve had similar questions asked before and I know people have suggested using the Libre reader instead. I think one person also disabled their phone camera and that was accepted.

Welcome to the forum @Sword.dancer
If you are using your phone to track your levels then you will need to be able to have access to your phone whilst in school, as will students who have pumps that link to a phone. The employer is required to make reasonable adjustments for disabilities, and this will be no different.
As you have found, with the Libre you can only have the alarms on the phone if you start you Libre with the phone and that then disables the reader. You cannot reasonably be expected to switch between the two.
Have you spoken to the school about it already? I suspect that it will not be a problem once you explain, and discuss strategies to overcome the practical concerns around use of tech in schools. Disabling the camera, explaining to the students why you need access to the phone, avoiding unnecessary checks during a lesson, so checking in between lessons, but still having your phone in range to give alarms. Well worth a conversation to start with.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back