Libre - glucose reading of 3.7 T2D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Emma Z

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Hi there

I got my Libre monitor today - had small dinner as was not hungry - some cheddar cheese - a handful of pistachios and 2 dates -and 2 metformi The reading after ten minutes came with an alarm of 3.1 - I ate half an apple - reading wen up to 3.7 but still got an alarm saying was too low . Should I be worried ? I never thought I would have to react to low glucose - I am fairly newly diagnosed and I am on 4 metformim (2 and 2)

If you are not treating your diabetes with insulin, a level in the 3s is not a concern.
However, Libre are not that accurate, especially in the first couple of days.
It is always recommended to check Libre with a finger prick.

However, I see nothing for you to worry about. But I am not a doctor.

Have you tried doing a finger prick to see what results you get? The sensors sometimes give very different results, and the one I have just taken off spent a week being close to finger pricks, then suddenly started to drift upwards.

Today it was giving 7.2 when a finger prick test came back with 5.1. Neither are fully accurate measurements.

As hello says, I wouldn't worry. Mine sometimes goes into the 3s after a walk/run, but it goes back up to the 5-6 region afterwards. With the sensors you can see this.

I think now reading the forum that I need to calibrate it as my finger prick was 7.5 - will try and see how to do that now

If you are not treating your diabetes with insulin, a level in the 3s is not a concern.
However, Libre are not that accurate, especially in the first couple of days.
It is always recommended to check Libre with a finger prick.

However, I see nothing for you to worry about. But I am not a doctor.

Mine always seem to start inaccurately for a day or so, then are quite close to finger pricks for around a week, then start getting erratic again. Apparently the filament gets 'fouled' after its been in for some time and this affects performance. I guess it's got some sort of enzyme in it that responds to the sugar in the fluid.

After the last one, I am not sure I will bother with them - I like to use them when I go away and am eating out a lot, but this last time I hardly bothered checking it.

Last edited:
Hope your sensor settles down over the next day or so.

The manufacturers of sensors generally suggest double-checking with a fingerstick meter if sensor glucose readings seem odd, or don’t match your symptoms.

My sensors nearly always give lower readings than my meter for the first day or two (sometimes a lot lower), and sometimes they stay lower, so I would never treat a hypo without testing with my meter first.

A lot of people also find it helps to wear a sensor for 24 hours before initialising it, sensors seem to take a while to settle.

Mine are usually fairly accurate after the first day or two, though I've had a few which gave really inaccurate readings (and which Abbott replaced).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back