Libre free senors

Status
Not open for further replies.

GailJ

Relationship to Diabetes
Carer/Partner
Hi

My husband has been recently diagnosed as Type 1 diabetes and has reynauds. We usually received 2 Libre Free senors per month on prescription. Recently this has been reduced to 1. When asked the GP surgery state there has been a change in National Policy regarding prescriptions and this is due to people stockpiling the sensors. I have contacted various bodies including Diabetes UK, NHS England, the local commissioning organisation and NICE, who do not know of any policy. I have also googled and found that most areas give 2 out to cover the month. I have been back to the GP's and advised them and asked for the policy they are referring to. They have not provided the policy but we have got our pack of 2 back on the prescription.

Last edited:
There has been no change to my Libre prescription.
By the way, regardless of Reynauds, the NICE guidelines are that everyone with Type 1 is entitled to Libre.
I too have Reynauds and was asking for a CGM for years. This is especially true as I find a Reynauds “attack“ is often a symptom of a hypo for me. Thankfully, I was prescribed Libre a few years ago but, sadly, it has not replaced all finger pricks.

I wouldn't describe getting 2 sensors as "stockpiling". I'd call it "having a back-up"! Sounds like a finance manager's decision, not a medical one.
Each sensor lasts (at most) 14 days, so 2 every 28 days should obviously be standard. Anybody claiming that one a month is suitable is clearly wrong: if NICE had intended CGM use part of the time they could easily have said so in the guidance, and they didn't.

Each sensor lasts (at most) 14 days, so 2 every 28 days should obviously be standard. Anybody claiming that one a month is suitable is clearly wrong: if NICE had intended CGM use part of the time they could easily have said so in the guidance, and they didn't.
They clearly live on a planet with a shorter “Lunar month.” 😉

Hi

My husband has been recently diagnosed as Type 1 diabetes and has reynards. We usually received 2 Libre Free senors per month on prescription. Recently this has been reduced to 1. When asked the GP surgery state there has been a change in National Policy regarding prescriptions and this is due to people stockpiling the sensors. I have contacted various bodies including Diabetes UK, NHS England, the local commissioning organisation and NICE, who do not know of any policy. I have also goggled and found that most areas give 2 out to cover the month. I have been back to the GP's and advised them and asked for the policy they are referring to. They have not provided the policy but we have got our pack of 2 back on the prescription.

Looks like they were telling fibs & no such policy exists, well done for persevering.

I would deffo challenge this. I’ve always had the 2 at a time, although my doctor has started issuing me 4 at a time to decrease the amount of requesting I need to do.

I don't see what problem there is to have a couple in hand. It's not like they go off, or you are flogging them down the pub.

I don't see what problem there is to have a couple in hand. It's not like they go off, or you are flogging them down the pub.

On likes of ebay there's any amount of bg strips available to buy at knock down price compared to RRP, been reports that on some packaging it's clear to see that prescription labels have been removed, so suppose it could be same with libre device.

Each sensor lasts 14 days, your husband orders his prescription every 28 days - 2 sensors per prescription (every 28 days) is obviously what’s needed. It would be daft to argue otherwise.

I don’t believe whoever told you that. It was either a lie or ignorance.

It's not like they go off, or you are flogging them down the pub.
Some people are selling prescribed libre sensors though. Have a quick look on eBay etc. So it’s right that they are restricted to 2 a month.

I'd assume that 2 per month is based on a total of 24 per year (assuming patient records are kept)? So regardless of if you have 2 every month, 4 every 2 months, 6 every 3 months, stockpiling would not be possible as there is an upper limit of 24 per year? We couldn't say, order 4 every month indefinitely or is that what they are saying?

Mine are issued four at a time, subject to a limit of 26 per year.

Sometimes what happens for me is my prescription may not be processed by the time I’m going on holiday. Though I order well in advance of a dead second sensor, in that case I will buy one over the counter, legit.
Just means a later order placement the following request. The batch comes in 2s, they’d probably ask questions if I put in a request any early than 3.5 weeks from the last one? My surgery could get funny.

In fact, on one recent occaision my local chemist said they had a load in & if I can spare a couple of minutes he’d sort me out now rather than the usual 2 day process.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back