Pronouns
She/Her
Hey all.
(not for me)

How hard is it to get a libre for a T2 who:
has very little hypo awareness
has had severe hypos
gets regular hypos
possibly early onset dementia along with other medical issue and has a carer (my friend, her son)

Friend has just found his mum again sitting on 3.1 and bouncing between that and 2.9 and struggling to bring her back up. Ambulance in attendance to help sort. (last major one he had to do cpr on her so don't blame him for calling in help).

Would she have a good case to get a sensor so alarms can be set? She just felt a "bit tired" and while my friend checks on her regularly, he cant be with her 24/7. Luckily he noticed she was unwell and got onto emergency services when she wasn't coming back up.

Thanks in advance peeps x

I’ve never heard of a T2 getting funding for libre except in Scotland. If she has early dementia, would she remember to scan it, interpret the results and treat the blood sugar appropriately?

I’d suggest first looking at the cause of the hypos, what medication is she on, has she had help from her diabetes team in reducing the amount of medication to have less hypos? If she regularly has severe hypos it sounds like she is over medicated.

I can't remember what insulins she is on apart from that I'm pretty sure it is MDI and she is on metformin (I think that is all).

I know he has been taking more control with her eating which is lessening her insulin requirements (he has reduced some already). Its a tough situation as she is still somewhat independent. He does setup her pens for her now and she injects herself. Not sure how much prompting she needs to check her bloods.

Will encourage him to have a team meeting and see if he fancies signing up here and posting himself as he has more info than I do 🙂

appreciate the response @Lucyr <3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back