Libre experiment using thigh

Status
Not open for further replies.

nonethewiser

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
So now 2 weeks in and libre is due for a change this afternoon, all in all things have worked out well, apart from at the start readings have been reading on average .5 higher than bg readings, but just the same with using the arms it reads higher when bg is high and above bg target range.

Surprisingly, even on last day its been reliable, last night at bed bg was 7.2 and libre was 7.4, this morning bg 6.5 and libre was 6.8, pleased overall and will be using the thighs more often now.

That's interesting @nonethewiser - thanks for letting us know. I've wondered about using different sites as my arms are skinny and I can only use my left (I sleep on the right one so don't want a sensor on that), and I don't want to re-use the same bit of my arm too often as the old sensor leaves a red ring for a while after use, so there's never a lot of space for new sensors. I'm wondering about using my abdomen. The only problem, I think, is that if there's a dodgy sensor Abbott won't replace it if it's not been used in accordance with their instructions.

I know it's a bit naughty of me to suggest this, but how would Abbott know that you hadn't used the sensor on your arm, unless you told them? o_O

I know it's a bit naughty of me to suggest this, but how would Abbott know that you hadn't used the sensor on your arm, unless you told them? o_O
Great minds think alike lol.

That's interesting @nonethewiser - thanks for letting us know. I've wondered about using different sites as my arms are skinny and I can only use my left (I sleep on the right one so don't want a sensor on that), and I don't want to re-use the same bit of my arm too often as the old sensor leaves a red ring for a while after use, so there's never a lot of space for new sensors. I'm wondering about using my abdomen. The only problem, I think, is that if there's a dodgy sensor Abbott won't replace it if it's not been used in accordance with their instructions.

Why not give the abdomen a go, nothing ventured nothing gained. As well as the thighs some libre users do use their abdomen, found this out when looking on the net for alternative sites for the libre.

Your right, Abbott won't replace the sensor if used elsewhere than the arms, they are very thorough about it when you ring customer services.

I might not tell them if they didn't ask, but if they asked I would tell them the truth. I can't use the phone though so I'd be emailing customer services.

Interesting as using my arms, I rarely get them to last for two weeks due to clumsiness and I turn over regularly whilst sleeping. Where on the thigh do you use?

Interesting as using my arms, I rarely get them to last for two weeks due to clumsiness and I turn over regularly whilst sleeping. Where on the thigh do you use?

Outer thigh, not far off the butt. Did use a Mepore waterproof dressing over it to give the sensor protection, mainly when removing clothing.

Word of warning, lying on the sensor was very uncomfortable unlike on the arm, so tended to lie on the opposite side, might not be the same for you mind.

I have recently used the sensor on the lower flabby bit and slightly more on the inside. I am swiping from under the arm rather than reaching over. Less aware of it when sleeping. The tegaderm I use over it is a bit more roughed up around the edges than usual, but sensor behaving well and giving me more area to use.

Interesting to read this, I have my wedding in ten weeks and not keen on having my sensor on my arm as it rather spoils the picture! May have to start trying my leg so that there are no marks or sensors in time for the wedding!

Interesting to read this, I have my wedding in ten weeks and not keen on having my sensor on my arm as it rather spoils the picture! May have to start trying my leg so that there are no marks or sensors in time for the wedding!

Why not give it a go, but rather than wait until your wedding week try one on now, that way you will know if it works or not and can plan ahead for your big day.

Just give it a go on the thigh. Well worth it for this. If it doesn’t work at least you will know ahead of time.

So now 2 weeks in and libre is due for a change this afternoon, all in all things have worked out well, apart from at the start readings have been reading on average .5 higher than bg readings, but just the same with using the arms it reads higher when bg is high and above bg target range.

Surprisingly, even on last day its been reliable, last night at bed bg was 7.2 and libre was 7.4, this morning bg 6.5 and libre was 6.8, pleased overall and will be using the thighs more often now.
I came across this old post when I googled alternative libre sites, I have very skinny arms and am considering trying one on my thigh.

Keep in mind Abbott don't advise it as only approved for use on arms, but I've had great results on other places also like chest & stomach.

Keep in mind Abbott don't advise it as only approved for use on arms, but I've had great results on other places also like chest & stomach.
Also remember that if using it while driving, the readings will not be accepted by the police if ever checked for whatever reason. It's only approved for driving while placed on the approved site. When driving it would be wise to back up with a finger prick.

Also remember that if using it while driving, the readings will not be accepted by the police if ever checked for whatever reason. It's only approved for driving while placed on the approved site. When driving it would be wise to back up with a finger prick.
Do you really expect a police officer to even know what a Libre is let alone where it is supposed to be placed?
I have heard similar arguments against using third party apps such as xDrip even though they provide more accurate results.
Wearing a Libre on an unapproved place which I can prove provides as accurate results as using it in the approved place is a risk I would be wiling to take.

Do you really expect a police officer to even know what a Libre is let alone where it is supposed to be placed?
I have heard similar arguments against using third party apps such as xDrip even though they provide more accurate results.
Wearing a Libre on an unapproved place which I can prove provides as accurate results as using it in the approved place is a risk I would be wiling to take.
Not at all, but I also wouldn't risk my driving licence either. They may well work perfectly fine on other areas of the body, but they are not approved - this would be described as off-label use, and therefore if something should happen, then there is a risk that you might have invalidated your insurance. I wouldn't risk my driving licence for anything, so on that basis I would recommend, to be sure, back up with a finger prick then there can be no doubt, and you would still be within the rules.

Thanks for the info, I have put it on my arm now, but will definitely try one on my thigh in the future, as for putting one on my chest, I don't think I have enough meat on the bones for that , I have visions of it hitting a rib

I'd be interested in any women use their thigh.
I would be concerned I would catch it when I went to the bathroom.
How can I put this delicately? I rarely catch a sensor on my arm with my bra because I only pull the straps over my arm twice a day - when I put it on and take it off. Other underwear goes up and down my thighs more often.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back