Libre consistently low...

Peely66

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
My last two Libres have been running low in the last 3/4/days whilst blood test is showing me in range I wondered if there is a batch of sensors out there doing the same?

Anyone noticed this happening?

I might have to rip this one off and start again. Very disconcerting when alarm keeps going off.

Well...early days on this particular sensor which was only 2/3 lower than a finger test this morning (which you might expect in the normal course of things) but the previous sensor was out by 6/7 towards the end of its life. The pattern is becoming apparent though. I would expect my BS to start to rise in the morning but it remains low on the sensor even having eaten breakfast and just sits at 4/5 with no movement.

Have you caught the sensor on something? Perhaps scrubbed it with a towel after a bath or shower or snagged it on clothing? Reading consistently low is usually an indication that the filament has become dislodged or perhaps slightly kinked which can happen if it got caught on something and was then pressed or taped back down. If it is no longer accurate, you should report them to Abbott for replacement.
If you have perhaps caught it and we all do from time to time, I purchased an arm strap and this has prevented any issues like this in the last 3 years. Of course it is likely also due to me learning to be more careful, but the arm strap definitely helps.

Sorry to hear you've had a couple of sub-par sensors @Peely66

Are you reporting them to Abbott? That might trigger action if lots from the same batch/lot number aren't performing as expected?

Have you caught the sensor on something? Perhaps scrubbed it with a towel after a bath or shower or snagged it on clothing? Reading consistently low is usually an indication that the filament has become dislodged or perhaps slightly kinked which can happen if it got caught on something and was then pressed or taped back down. If it is no longer accurate, you should report them to Abbott for replacement.
If you have perhaps caught it and we all do from time to time, I purchased an arm strap and this has prevented any issues like this in the last 3 years. Of course it is likely also due to me learning to be more careful, but the arm strap definitely helps.
I hate to do this to you. You always post as one of the kindest on this site. I think they kink when pulling the sensor off? (Pannel pins do the same thing as well as thiner gauge nails, if hooked out sideways with a claw hummer?) I have used a libre armband if a sensor is coming a little lose with no major discrepancy (if at all.) with my meter. I tend to reference my meter alot till I'm satisfied if I think I have knocked it? 🙂

How long has the sensor been fitted?
11...now 12 days. Jury is still out on this one. I'm now not convinced that it is malfunctioning but I'm pretty sure the last one did in the last 3 days.

I haven't snagged it on anything @rebrascora and it appears and feels like its firmly in place.

Only 2 days to go now before it gets replaced anyway.

11...now 12 days. Jury is still out on this one. I'm now not convinced that it is malfunctioning but I'm pretty sure the last one did in the last 3 days.

I haven't snagged it on anything @rebrascora and it appears and feels like its firmly in place.

Only 2 days to go now before it gets replaced anyway.
Is there a possibility it's been sited into or close to muscle tissue? It's a theory I have thinking outside the "box" on muscle uptake or demand of sugar. I'll tag @Bruce Stephens for thoughts on that. Hitting a seam where the "coal" is thin?

I had a run over the summer (5 iirc) that all started measuring low after only a few days (too low for XDrip+ to calibrate them up enough to be useful) so I had to have them replaced (and had sore arms with swapping so often.)

One thing that does sometimes seem to fix them if they are not too far off is generating a large blood sugar rise/fall, such that the sensor decides to go offline for a bit (and presumably does an internal recal.) YMMV tho.

Is there a possibility it's been sited into or close to muscle tissue? It's a theory I have thinking outside the "box" on muscle uptake or demand of sugar. I'll tag @Bruce Stephens for thoughts on that. Hitting a seam where the "coal" is thin?
I've honestly no idea. I presume CGM manufacturers have hypotheses about things like this and maybe there's some published research, but I haven't seen it. The only advice I can think of is to report sensors when they do things like this (so don't assume that a sensor that seems OK on the first day is going to still be correct on its last day).

I wonder if (sometimes) the presence of the filament might influence how the interstitial fluid acts over time? People who apply their sensors a day early sometimes say something (maybe) related to that, that inserting it might be causing inflammation (or something) that can subside after a day.

Regardless, we should report sensors that aren't working correctly, for whatever reason.

My last two (Libre 2+) sensors were returned and replaced - one with 2 days to go out of the 15 (had consistently low readings for 48hrs which were completely wrong), and the last one failed on 11 days (No connection whatsoever even with scanning for 12hrs, then it ultimately failed) - Abbott replaced both straight away - I think they know they have a few issues! Been on the Libre 2+ ones for 6-7 months though and these are the only ones that have gone wrong - I have on the whole found them more accurate and reliable (signal loss-wise) than the Libre 2 ones though - perhaps a dodgy batch...

I've honestly no idea. I presume CGM manufacturers have hypotheses about things like this and maybe there's some published research, but I haven't seen it. The only advice I can think of is to report sensors when they do things like this (so don't assume that a sensor that seems OK on the first day is going to still be correct on its last day).

I wonder if (sometimes) the presence of the filament might influence how the interstitial fluid acts over time? People who apply their sensors a day early sometimes say something (maybe) related to that, that inserting it might be causing inflammation (or something) that can subside after a day.

Regardless, we should report sensors that aren't working correctly, for whatever reason.
I always apreciate your balanced honesty. I monitor my sensors with a meter
(libre 2 & the libre 1 prior.) There are Things said about "24/48h bedding in?" I don't get issue. Bang on & go. Then, anything above 10mmol will be out? Libre said 15. 3 earlier. Checked meter 15.1. I can't help feeling some of the "limitations" of the freestyle libre, don't apply to me?

Libre said 15. 3 earlier. Checked meter 15.1.
Sure, but I don't really trust my meter that much outside the normal range either. I think in both cases they're just saying "too high", which I think is enough to go on. I also don't apply sensors in advance or anything: I apply one and initialise it, and as soon as it gives readings I usually find that it's as good as it'll ever be, which is usually good enough.

Sure, but I don't really trust my meter that much outside the normal range either. I think in both cases they're just saying "too high", which I think is enough to go on. I also don't apply sensors in advance or anything: I apply one and initialise it, and as soon as it gives readings I usually find that it's as good as it'll ever be, which is usually good enough.
Fair shout. I know I've checked mine against a DSN's meter, which has been satisfactory.
It's still better than peeing in a test tube, regardless of the "15%" tolerance accuracy thing.

Back