Libre and pets

DianeD

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Pronouns
She/Her
Libre on a cat?
This came up on Facebook. Is this a thing? Or just in America.

Attachments

• SmartSelect_20240709_084704_Facebook.jpg
    SmartSelect_20240709_084704_Facebook.jpg
    137.9 KB · Views: 3
There seems to be a PR battle going on between the CGM makers if the random ads on YouTube are anything to go by and so you can expect loads more silly stories as they each search for anything to get their name on social media.

Yes, this is a thing and not a silly advertising campaign for Libre to get their name on social media.
Some pets suffer from diabetes and some owners want to monitor it. The other option is trying to do a "paw prick".
I know of someone (in America) who used Libre 1 with her diabetic dog as he was experiencing lots of hypos.

Libre on a cat?
This came up on Facebook. Is this a thing? Or just in America.
Hi Diane,
Is not uncommon to use Libre s on cats and dogs as alternative is to do Blood Glucose Curves which are very time and labour intensive.
Generally it is when the pets are hospitalised but some owners like to use them to get the pets stabilised.
Dogs can only use insulin as their diabetes is virtually always a deficiency so more akin to Type 1 whereas cats are more of a resistance hence more like Type 2.

PS The equivalent of an Hb1ac is fructosamine which measures it every 3 months.

I looked after a diabetic dog for 2 weeks, what a stressful time. I had to collect a urine sample each day and adjust the insulin shot accordingly. The problem was if she didn't eat the allocated amount of food which she was reluctant to do initially being in a strange environment she would go hypo and if she didn't have food at a specific time again she would go hypo. I was instructed to give her honey to treat it and then make sure she ate her food.

Yes, a friend’s cat has a Libre. The cat is on insulin and I think the Libre helps (the owner as much as the cat).

Back