Libre 3 sensor

Status
Not open for further replies.

May Rhymer

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Hello all,
Is the Libre 3 due to be launched in the UK soon?
Also, aside from the size, what is the difference between the 3 and 3 sensor.
Thanks
May

As far as I know there are no dates for launching L3 in the UK.
It needs to be approved by our standards bodies.

The main difference is that you will no longer need to scan the sensor with your phone or reader - the sensor will become a "true CGM" and send readings to your phone or reader regularly via Bluetooth.
Abbott have also said that they are fixing the known issues from version 1 and 2 but that won't stop them introducing new issues.

There is another thread started by @Paulbreen which may be useful to watch as I think Paul (who does not live in the UK - I want to say "Germany" but apologies to Paul if I have that wrong) is likely to be getting Libre 3 soon.

Paul does live in Germany and already has a Libre 3.

Since the UK NHS only released the L2 to us on prescription late last year - my CCG allowed us to have it in January 2021 - I would be holding my breath to await release of L3 here anytime soon, quite honestly.

Thanks for your post.
Given there isn't any difference in price, it may not be the case that the UK has to wait a long time. I guess we will just have to watch this space!
On a side note, my hubby has the L2, whilst its really helpful, we're fed up with the alarm going off saying his phone is out of range. The phone is sitting next to him and facing the correct way, very annoying ☹.
Abbot really need to fix some of their issues before proceeding to the next product.

As far as I know there are no dates for launching L3 in the UK.
It needs to be approved by our standards bodies.

The main difference is that you will no longer need to scan the sensor with your phone or reader - the sensor will become a "true CGM" and send readings to your phone or reader regularly via Bluetooth.
Abbott have also said that they are fixing the known issues from version 1 and 2 but that won't stop them introducing new issues.

There is another thread started by @Paulbreen which may be useful to watch as I think Paul (who does not live in the UK - I want to say "Germany" but apologies to Paul if I have that wrong) is likely to be getting Libre 3 soon.
Germany is right Helli

I didn’t get one yet, Abbott here told me to download the new app for the 3 and I’m expecting a delivery of new sensors in the next couple of weeks so my fingers are crossed that the 3 turns up, when I got the 2 they sent me a new reader and a couple of weeks later the L2 sensors arrived.
I’m thinking they said the price will be the same but do t quote me on that

Hello @Paulbreen I'd be obliged if you could keep us posted on here with your reviews once you start using it.
From doing a google on it the main noticeable difference is the that the catheter is now offset to one side but I've not read any reason for it being so.
Abbott designed its next-generation FreeStyle Libre 3 system to be more sustainable for the environment with a smaller and more discreet sensor, reducing the total volume by more than 70%." With a 41% reduction in plastic use and 43% reduction in carton paper," the new sensor design aligns with the company's continued commitment to sustainability.

Thanks
There is a post on this forum about L3 https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/th...ver-happened-to-the-freestyle-libre-2.177116/

Last edited:
Hello @Paulbreen I'd be obliged if you could keep us posted on here with your reviews once you start using it.
From doing a google on it the main noticeable difference is the that the catheter is now offset to one side but I've not read any reason for it being so.
Abbott designed its next-generation FreeStyle Libre 3 system to be more sustainable for the environment with a smaller and more discreet sensor, reducing the total volume by more than 70%." With a 41% reduction in plastic use and 43% reduction in carton paper," the new sensor design aligns with the company's continued commitment to sustainability.

Thanks
There is a post on this forum about L3 https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/th...ver-happened-to-the-freestyle-libre-2.177116/
No problem Mark

Seems quite a lot of people are now using these, anybody have any idea of whether a UK release is possible or planned? I was told at my last review it wouldnt happen on the NHS due to extra cost of a CGM solution but as the price is exactly the same surely it's a no-brainer?

Sadly there isn't a date for UK release yet but seen quite a few have been told sometime next year xx

Sadly there isn't a date for UK release yet but seen quite a few have been told sometime next year xx
Thanks for this, just been digging and there is no Android version of the Libre 3 app yet so it's a non starter for me until that is resolved. I do hope the switchover from 2 to 3 is quicker than than the switchover from 1 to 2!!

I think Libre 3 release will be a lot speedier than from 1 and 2, mainly because Libre’s market is being increasingly taken away by the Dexcom G6, soon to be surpassed by the smaller and smarter G7. Accuracy claimed to be within 30 minutes after application, and possibly longer lasting than their usual 10 days.

Libre will push for Libre 3 to be released on prescription in the UK because it’s a big market.

I have been using the Libre 3 for almost 3 months now, but I am based in Germany as well. I had been using the Libre 2 for a couple of years and the 3 does make life easier without the need to scan. I had a few sensor failures with the first few I used, but the last three sensors have all made it to 14 days, which the sensor 2 often struggled with. I now keep the mobile that receives the bluetooth readings close 24x7, hence don't have to worry about scanning within 8 hours overnight. The accuracy is as good as the 2. I also get alarms on the Watch connected to the mobile, but it would be even more convenient if I could have a continuous display even when not in high or low state as this would make reading when on horse back simpler and less intrusive when I am presenting or in meetings. (I was a diabetic in the NHS for almost 45 years before moving here.)

I have been using the Libre 3 for almost 3 months now, but I am based in Germany as well. I had been using the Libre 2 for a couple of years and the 3 does make life easier without the need to scan. I had a few sensor failures with the first few I used, but the last three sensors have all made it to 14 days, which the sensor 2 often struggled with. I now keep the mobile that receives the bluetooth readings close 24x7, hence don't have to worry about scanning within 8 hours overnight. The accuracy is as good as the 2. I also get alarms on the Watch connected to the mobile, but it would be even more convenient if I could have a continuous display even when not in high or low state as this would make reading when on horse back simpler and less intrusive when I am presenting or in meetings. (I was a diabetic in the NHS for almost 45 years before moving here.)

Can't wait, not having to scan is big big plus, good feedback from yourself mate.

it would be great if Apple could add this as an iPhone widget or watch complication.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back