Libre 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

FieldD88

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Evening folks!

I was given a libre 2 couple of weeks ago. (type 1 here)

It's a right pain in the proverbial. Keep catching it on stuff. Is there any advice from you experienced folks (please don't tell me what the manufacturer advise, I already know) of other placements locations? Currently have it on the back of my bicep.

Cheers!

Keep catching it on stuff.
Really? I don't find it that bad. Early on (so years ago now) I managed to lose one to a doorframe. And people who wear bras have commented that they don't work that well together. Generally they're not too much of a problem.

There are stickers and things you can use to protect them a bit more, and reusable straps to really fix them on firmly, which I can imagine would be really useful if you had pets or young children who liked picking at them.

I found two ways to stop catching my Libre on stuff
- familiarisation. Sounds like a cop out but getting used to it is a big part of not catching it. For example, at first, I found my bra strap was the arch nemesis of Libre but now they never meet each other.
- placement. I see the official photos of Libre being halfway between shoulder and elbow. However, I place mine as far back as possible and as high as possible. So nearly in my armpit and nearly at my shoulder.

Some people place their sensor elsewhere such as on their chest or abdomen but it is not approved there and if you have issues, Abbott may not replace it.

Definitely agree with helli. Familiarisation and adaptation. I sense myself adapting my movement through door frames now. It's like a muscle memory. I lost a few in the early days but never happens now.

Towards the back of your tricep is the place but yes, in the early days I caught one of mine on a door frame and one on the shower door getting out when they are most susceptible after a hot shower makes the adhesive a little softer and one I scrubbed too hard with my exfoliating mitt in the shower because I forgot which arm it was on. And one I pinged off when I ripped my sweatshirt off after a run and wasn't thinking. I invested in an elastic strap with a 3D printed plastic watch face which fits precisely over the edges of the sensor. and provides it with a lot more protection. I have pinged the arm band many times with my sports bra but not lost a sensor since I got it and so worth every penny in my book. It also provided a visual prompt when I am in the shower so that I don't forget and try to scrub the sensor off anymore or towel it off. I think I probably apply the sensor a bit further towards the back of my arm now too, so it is less at risk from door frames. I also have perfected my skin prep and application technique so that it has the best possible chance of the best possible adhesion. I apply each one a day early to give it time to bed in and any bodily reaction to a foreign object being fired into your tissue to settle down before activating it, and after 15 days it is still stuck like a limpet and requires a significant grimace when I prise it off. I got my arm strap off ebay and there was a range of colour options to blend in with skin tone, match an outfit or be loud and proud neon!
I have only lost one sensor since I started using the arm strap 2 years ago and to be fair it was extremely exceptional circumstanced when a pointed pruned branch of a fruit tree dug in right at the edge of the sensor as I was barrowing manure to mulch under it and I was lucky that it didn't spike into my skin, so the sensor was a small price to pay on that occasion.
It is an amazing bit of kit once you understand it's limitations and find the right placement and perhaps an arm strap or overtape to secure it against it's various adversaries.
If you are not aware of it's limitations as most people are not, it may be useful to read the thread linked below.

be particularly aware of false lows during the night (compression lows) if you lie on the sensor.

I find my libra 2 is usually a god send. I'm new to this only diagnosed 18 months ago. Replaced my sensor last night, all fine first few readings then it said my readings low went to 2.9 I ate for England and it never went up. Used my metre my levels were 20.6. Had insulin , this morning my metre reading is 6.2. Sensor said not working replace with a new one . I presume libra will send a new one out. It only court on thing when I first got the sensors but got use to it pretty quick.

Evening folks!

I was given a libre 2 couple of weeks ago. (type 1 here)

It's a right pain in the proverbial. Keep catching it on stuff. Is there any advice from you experienced folks (please don't tell me what the manufacturer advise, I already know) of other placements locations? Currently have it on the back of my bicep.

Cheers!

You get used to it. When I first had the Libre, I was very aware of doors and car doors and felt almost constrained by it as I moved about. But I very soon became subconsciously acclimatised to it and rarely ever catch it now. I do still concentrate when dressing and undressing and when showering, but most of the time I carry on as normal, knowing my body/brain has adjusted to it.

Definitely top, back of your arm works best, right towards the shoulder. OR get wider doors!

I find my libra 2 is usually a god send. I'm new to this only diagnosed 18 months ago. Replaced my sensor last night, all fine first few readings then it said my readings low went to 2.9 I ate for England and it never went up. Used my metre my levels were 20.6. Had insulin , this morning my metre reading is 6.2. Sensor said not working replace with a new one . I presume libra will send a new one out. It only court on thing when I first got the sensors but got use to it pretty quick.
Did you test with a finger prick before treating just to check it was that low before 'eating for England'

Libres can be a bit dodgy reading wise until they are settled in. If you don't already may be worth inserting a day or 2 before starting?

Abbott will replace it for you. Just phone them and tell them what happened. They will ask for the serial number and ask about error readings.

I have had one replaced by them because the Sensor stopped working and needed to be replaced, only a few days into it's use. It took about three working days to arrive.

Last week I dropped my new sensor on the bathroom floor just as I was trying to apply it to my arm. The mechanism had sprung, so I wasn't able to apply it 🙄. I didn't have a spare one and had to wait until the next day to get an emergency one from the pharmacist. I have just phoned Abbott and told them what happened. They are sending out a replacement. 🙂

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back